6 days to decide G4000 9x19 vs G0602 10x22 Both around $1500 delivered Recommendations?

Tolerent

Registered
Registered
Getting ready to pull the trigger on a first jump into machining. Looking at the mentioned lathes here https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-9-x-19-Bench-Lathe/G4000
Is the 10% sale anything unusual or a quarterly event?
Does the G0602 have as good a threading arrangement e.g. QCGB as the G4000?
Is the 1/2" max tooling of the G0602 vs the 3/8 max of the G4000 enough to offset gear change convenience?
What should I understand (about this decision)?

For those size lathes, the difference between 1/2 and 3/8 tools is minimal. I own a PM1127, only slightly larger, and I use mostly 3/8 even though I own a number of 1/2 tools.

I would find a 9" to be a bit limiting, but if your work will fit with the tools, go for it. Not having change gears is nice. I added an electronic leadscrew setup in part to get away from it.

I've never used either of those machines, so I can't give you any specific advice on them. I hear people like Grizzly machines though.

Getting ready to pull the trigger on a first jump into machining. Looking at the mentioned lathes here https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-9-x-19-Bench-Lathe/G4000
Is the 10% sale anything unusual or a quarterly event?

It is a "bit" unusual--generally there is a Christmas sale. This is a sale designed to move 'stuff' during a pandemic and is atypical.
But keep in mind that many of these machines are 15%-20% higher than they were before Trump imposed tariffs on Chinese goods.

Does the G0602 have as good a threading arrangement e.g. QCGB as the G4000?

With either machine, If you are planning (planning) to cut lots of threads of differing sizes, you will be changing <back> gears often. There is just not enough selection in the quick change transmission.
{The 11×26 is no different, here:: the 12×36 lathes and larger are different--for example I have not changed any back gear on my G4003G in the 2 years I have owned it while cutting all sorts of threads.}

Is the 1/2" max tooling of the G0602 vs the 3/8 max of the G4000 enough to offset gear change convenience?

With the power of the motor(s), there is not much difference.

What should I understand (about this decision)?

I hope you will be able to use and enjoy this lathe for a long time into the future.

When I made my choice 2.5 years ago I understood the limits to which I would EVER want to machine stuff on a lathe, and by studying this for several months, I came to the conclusion that nothing smaller than a 12×36 would fit my needs. My G4003G has, for me been an excellent investment and has become a good friend.

I suggest that you consider the kinds of things you will do this this lathe far into the future and make the right choice for your needs.
If I were to choose from the given lathes, I would go with the the G0602 over the G4000.
It seems to be "more lathe" at not much "more price".

The only thing you are giving up by going with the 10x22 is some mobility and space. It weighs 80lbs more (330 vs 250) but neither are really portable the way the 7x14 and smaller lathes are, so it isn't a huge difference. The 10x22 is 9" longer (46" vs 37") which could be an issue if space is really tight.

There is a large community of 9x20 users. I don't know that anything like that exists specifically for the G0602. Also don't know if that really matters because there are not that many issues specific to any particular brand / model of lathe.

For gears the the G4000 has a 9 position lever, the G0602 has two, 3 position knobs so both have 9 speeds just differ in how they get there. You will be using change gears on both for the full range of threading and will need to move the belt on pulleys for the full range of speeds.

Both use a threaded spindle with a screw on clip to keep the chuck from backing off.

Both are 120v so no special electrical needs, but the G4000 can be run on a 15A circuit (9A), the G0602 should be run on a 20A circuit (14A). Really only an issue if you are in an old house as 20A is pretty standard.

Advantages to the G0602:
Bigger spindle bore 25mm vs 20mm
Forward and reverse (there are plans available to add reverse to the 9x20, but as it comes it has no reverse gear)
3/4" bigger swing (9.5" vs 8.75") and 2" more between centers
More power 1hp vs 3/4 hp
Heavier, more weight usually = more rigidity

The 9x20s are not bad small lathes, but since it is only $90 more, I'd go with the 10x22 unless the size / weight is an issue for your space. Either is a nice size for a second lathe if you later decide you need a larger lathe.

My standard advice is always get the biggest you have room for and the best you can afford. So often people say I only want to make small stuff, but before they know it along comes that I would love to do job, but it won't fit.

Last edited:
I have worked with both, the G4000 at work and my own G0602. My decision to buy the G0602 was based on my favorable experiences with the G4000 but I decided to go with the G0602 because of its greater capacity. I do not regret my decision. There are two features that the G4000 has that are not present on the 602, the relative ease of engaging the drive belt(s) and the separate drive mechanisms for threading and power feed.

The 602 is substantially heavier than the 4000 and, as I recall, has greater threading capability.the additional inch of swing and larger bore (the 602 spindle bore is about 27mm) are pluses for the 602. Also the larger motor.

I have tricked out my 602. I added a QCTP, a more substantial compound clamp, now available as a kit from another source, 3 axis DRO, electronic lead screw, work stop for spindle, and a carriage stop. Most of this is documented elsewhere on this forum. At this point, I am fairly satisfied with my machine. Two major improvements would be to add a VFD and an auto release for the half nuts.

I have worked with both, the G4000 at work and my own G0602. My decision to buy the G0602 was based on my favorable experiences with the G4000 but I decided to go with the G0602 because of its greater capacity. I do not regret my decision. There are two features that the G4000 has that are not present on the 602, the relative ease of engaging the drive belt(s) and the separate drive mechanisms for threading and power feed.

The 602 is substantially heavier than the 4000 and, as I recall, has greater threading capability.the additional inch of swing and larger bore (the 602 spindle bore is about 27mm) are pluses for the 602. Also the larger motor.

I have tricked out my 602. I added a QCTP, a more substantial compound clamp, now available as a kit from another source, 3 axis DRO, electronic lead screw, work stop for spindle, and a carriage stop. Most of this is documented elsewhere on this forum. At this point, I am fairly satisfied with my machine. Two major improvements would be to add a VFD and an auto release for the half nuts.
The stops and talk of auto release make me think of crashes. Something I think I might be rather effective at initiating. If I were capable of getting distracted.

Back