6 Lbs of HSS tool bits

dbb-the-bruce

Dave
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I was doing some clean up in the shop, trying to reclaim my horizontal space and storage this weekend.

One of the things I tripped over is a box of 1/2" sq (and a couple bigger) HHS tool bits. I don't have anything in the shop that would use bits that big. At this point I doubt that I ever will. I put them aside thinking that I might want a good sized chuck for some odd ball thing down the road. But at this point I just don't see it.

So first question, what good is a bunch of HHS that you don't have any obvious use for? Am I going to regret getting rid of it? Mind you that this all older American brands and I understand that it can be hard to find.

Second question, what is the policy of offering things for sale (directly) on this site? I poked around a lot and did not find any clear statement.

What I'd like to do is see that someone here that has a definite need gets them. I'm not looking for top dollar, and frankly would prefer some sort of trade (for what, I don't know).

So summary - Any use for this stuff that I'm missing? How do I get rid of it?

Thanks.

I would keep some just because.
I have a new lathe coming, and can use some, or all if you name a price.

I have an auction i am watching that has almost exactly this. The opening price is ridiculously low. For someone that uses them it is a great deal.

Joe

One of the things I tripped over is a box of 1/2" sq (and a couple bigger) HHS tool bits
Just to be clear,is this HSS (High Speed Steel) or is HHS something new or is it a tipo? Just read the post for interest sake.

Just to be clear,is this HSS (High Speed Steel) or is HHS something new or is it a tipo? Just read the post for interest sake.
HSS (not HHS -oops) Square sticks of steel that are ground into cutters for lathes and other stuff. Kind of old school, but pretty much all I use.

:big grin: no worries. Back to your question. My answer is if it is not in your way...keep it or some of it. You never know when you might need it........only when you have gotten rid of it,then you'll know and think,why???

You have any 7/8x7/8 you want to sell?

If what you are describing is a box of lathe bits that are larger than what you normally use, then sell it. It is useful to somebody, so throwing it away would be a travesty.

I keep every scrap of HSS that I generate so that I can grind cutting tools out of it. Round or square, if I can mount it in a tool holder it gets saved.

To answer your other question, register as a H-M Supporter Gold Member and you can list stuff in the classifieds. Also, you get to support this awesome site.

As for what to do with them....

John

Back