618 Craftsman 101.21400 New Owner Needing an Assist

Hoppes 9

Registered
Registered
After almost a year of searching, I thankfully purchased a nice 618. The long search and scarcity in my area is making me use caution. As a result I have my 1st of many questions:

what is the best method for removing the collar (M6-32) from the spindle? If the answer is a spanner wrench, can someone recommend the proper size?

618a.jpg

618b.jpg

Greetings, i just use Channellock pliers with some tape on the jaws to prevent marring the collar. You picked a great lathe for your self.

Thank you Rooster- tape is a great idea. We’ve been enjoying tinkering with the lathe. I say “we” as I have 2 young sons under the age of 5. They like cleaning the parts with old tooth brushes

When you do get it off, and before you put it back together again, consider doing something like this. Two small holes for an adjustable pin spanner makes for much less drama down the road. Also, if you need to make a new collar at any time, it's a standard thread pitch so you can turn down a large nut and not have to worry about cutting the internal threads. I've made two this way so far and they work well.

-frank
image.jpeg

Excellent idea Frank- I will indeed do this. I’ve already had about $80 worth of drama while disassembling the motor countershaft...

Yeah I was going to add, the holes need not be any deeper than about 1/16" or so. Just enough to give some purchase to the spanner without weakening the ring too much. Good luck!

-frank

Putting two holes in the side of the collar to allow the use of a face spanner is one way to do it. However, drilling the holes in the collar when is is still tight on the spindle can be an iffy proposition. Another way to do it, that also yields a tool that can also be used to tighten the threaded collar to properly preload the spindle bearings, is to modify a proper diameter pin spanner by replacing the pin with a bolt or shoulder bolt that screws into either of the existing set screw holes. Just make the threaded part short enough so that you aren't quite tightening the bolt down against the lead pellet in the bottom of the hole.

Well the tape method worked, but of course it slipped as I was wrenching. End result is a slightly buggered collar, which is disappointing. Step 2: the adjacent gear. And guess what- it appears stuck. Kroil bath liberally applied.

43E86D13-1E75-4C76-86AE-80ABCD4D4713.jpeg

Greetings Hoppes 9, the gear is keyed to the shaft, you might want to get a gear puller. If you don't have a manual you can download one from Vintage Machinery. There is also a download for the spindle removal at the Yahoo 618 owners group.

Hi Hoppes 9 , I have a 6" (not to be confused with a 618) but it has the same collar . When I got my machine all the gears were stuck , but not that collar because the PO had put a piece of Aluminum under the set screw . Welcome to the forum .
Mark

Back