6X12 Horizontal Band Saw Cutting Issue with Aluminum

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
I am using a 8/12 3/4" blade. It has very little use. I noticed when I let the saw cut aggressively, a chunk of chips will stick to the blade. This causes it to jump when it cycles around. I can knock it off with a brush as it comes around.
I am using wax. I do have the Kool Mist I could apply to the cuts.
I was cutting a piece of aluminum, 1" thick by 4" wide.
It did cut straight, I'm not complaining about the quality of the cut.
I can slow it down or speed it up. I'm not sure what speed I am running. I don't have a guide for the pulleys, it just seems right.
Marvel 612.
Thanks

I was just cutting 1x6” aluminum on my horizontal 10-1/2 blade, WD 40 worked good

Yes, definitely use a lubricant, WD is OK, or kerosene.

All these years I have heard WD40 is worthless until I got into machining. You guys use it all the time.
I'll give it a shot. I am cutting spacers for my DRO.

That’s about all it’s good for , displacing water and cutting aluminum

There should be a "wire brush" attachment on the bandsaw that clears the blade of chips. I use the wax stick lube.

I have seen those wire brushes.
This old saw is not currently equipped.
I just bought some wd 40

You can easily equip your saw with a standard wire brush for a drill or a grinder and quick custom bracket.

Holy Schnikies!
I just chucked up the same piece of aluminum, let the blade ride the wind with WD 40.
It cut straight, smooth and fast.
Less than 45 seconds to cut this piece.
Thank you WD40. Thank you Hobby Machinist's Forum !
I am a Premium Member because I find value with the information I get from you wonderful, like minded people.
See PIC.

IMG_0656[1].JPG

Did the coors light help, wd 40 also helps milling aluminum, but tapmatic is what I use when tapping alu.

Back