VN 7 1/2 DIVIDING HEAD

BROCKWOOD

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Several people told me not to dismiss the Van Norman 7 1/2" Dividing Head. So, when I made an offer on ebay? I won. It came with a tailstock - but shy 2 indexing plates, a few bolts, etc. Show off / document yours here! I was missing 1 of the nuts that allow rotation between the base (mount) the main body. I happened to have 1 that is large enough to require the same size wrench to loosen / tighten as the other 2 stock nuts! Gonna need a spring clip to hold the indexing plate on. Also need a screw to have a complete set of 3 for mounting the indexing plate. So I ordered those in a longer length. The simple indexing plate also uses 10-32 screws in a longer length - but with a slotted head ........... I'll switch those to allen head while I'm at it.

On arrival, mine didn't have a proper backlash. It was repainted all together. Some disassembly was required. Now the backlash is minimal & she rotates beautifully! Needed parts are anxiously waiting their turn on the lathe! Show & share what you have!

20180901_24.jpg20180901_184857416.jpg20180901_184914340.jpg20180930 01.jpg

My 7.5" is complete. I made a fixture to clone the DH plates, it's a time consuming process though. Chances are you won't be able to find them.

I have a few options for making them. I am certain they will be time consuming though.

I found the 47 - 66 plate. Offered just more than I care to pay - but less than 1/2 BIN. I can make em for myself before I pay what some sell for.

So far $75 per indexing plate is what sellers hope to get. It's called supply & demand. Snap-On, John Deere & Mercedes know this game well. So much for demand for VN stuff as there really isn't any. I'll make my own indexing plates at this rate. I did make my own indexing plate retaining clip for this lit'l 7 1/2 out of a fender washer. I cut the inside diameter, beveled it & then cut the slot. I debated over the order of operation as can be seen in another thread here https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/an-order-of-operation-question.73620/#post-617483

The end result:

20181021 05.jpg

Now what to do next? I loathe the idea of collecting VN noC collets at $30 each. Think I'll just get a chuck for it.

"Think I'll just get a chuck for it."
I've got one on my shopping list for the 10 inch DH. Looking for a suitable one right now. Per the VN literature they recommend no bigger than a 6 inch.

Did VN recommend a specific size chuck for the 7 1/2 DH?

EDIT: Had it wrong, looked up in the VN accessories catalogue. Recommend a 4 inch chuck.
Did not see a recommendation for the 10 inch. But the factory did not offer a chuck bigger than a 6 inch in the catalogue. So I assume that was what they recommended.

Last edited:
4" is recommended. Got 1 on the way.

Is it a VN brand chuck? Please post pictures of how you attach the chuck.

Will do. It has an adapter to screw on to the DH. Pretty sure it's gonna take a NMTB 50 Adapter for the 10".

Back