VN 7 1/2 DIVIDING HEAD

Thanks for the picture. Interesting. Looks similar to the pin set up VN used on the 10 inch DH. I've only seen pictures of how a 3 or 4 jaw attached to the DH. I did print out pictures from a machinist who modified a three jaw to fit. I'm planning on doing the same since I can't find an original VN chuck in good condition.

Adaptor screws onto chuck & onto the 7 1/2" DH.

IMG_20181025_214350680.jpg

IMG_20181025_214941913.jpg

Any info you can share on adapting a chuck onto the 10 Vertical Swing DH would be great!

"Any info you can share on adapting a chuck onto the 10 Vertical Swing DH would be great!"

Will send you a message with the info. Can also make photocopies and mail to you. Don't have them on digits.

Well, I've bought what are called double sided indexing plates no 371 & 372. They only top out at a 49 hole bolt circle. It will be fun to see what I have in mind for them!

Just cutting to the chase: 1/2" thick double-sided indexing plates really aren't a good solution - unless you are fine with milling 1 side off. My idea was to mill the center thickness only so that the plate would fit. But then, how to add the spring clip? The plate is too tall. But then how to advance the indexing pin beyond it's original reach? Just livin & learnin.

371 - 372 INDEX PLATES 01.jpg

How much thickness wise do you need to reduce? If you mill an equal amount off each side but leave just enough to engage the pin it might be doable. The pin just needs to enough to locate. It really isn't resisting any force. That is if you lock the spindle for each cut.

I'd make a paper template with the numbers on them before cutting. Mill each side evenly (if enough "meat") then surface grind each side for a good finish. Then use the pantograph to replicate the numbers. You could hand stamp the numbers also. Just harder to make it look neat.

gi the pin holes sure seem deep enough to allow for that. An 1/8th off each side would bring them down to the desired 1/4" thick. Thanks. I have number stamps. Worth a try. Pantograph sounds like another fun project too.

I kept my "Indexing Plate" search on ebay just to see if the 1 47-66 plate I found might get reduced to a more reasonable price. So many of the plates listed have so little information. So I made a chart & also made note of the 4 7/8" overall size & 1 1/2" center hole.

I'll add to the chart as info comes along.

I found a generic listing that seemed more hopeful than modifying the plates discussed earlier up above. Made a fair offer & won. My cup runneth over.

All of these fit the Van Norman 7 1/2! So I now have my full set of the correct 18 - 37, 38 - 46, 47 - 66 + an oddball & 4 extras!

The extras are 1 x 38 - 46 & 3 x 47 - 66. $40 ea shipped in the lower 48. PM me if interested.

Back