7 1/2 hp VFD for cheap guy?

Allemay

Registered
Registered
Hi Everyone,

I see a lot of discussions about 2-3hp VFD installations, but none for bigger hp situations. I just picked up a 7.5hp lathe 220/3 phase. Like most of you I only have single phase in my shop. It seems like most of the VFD;s I see for 7 1/2 hp are 3 phase input only.

Can anyone suggest one that hopefully isn't $1,000?

I'll appreciate any help any of you can give me.

Brad
Newbie from MN

You dont need a VFD to run a 220 volt 3PH motor with 1PH. I run all of my machines with static phase converters, and 220 volt 1PH. You just wire a bunch of capacitors to one of the wires from the walll and one of the wires from the motor and the other two motor wires go to the wall. it will fire right up.

this guy explains it better......

Most VFDs rated for 220 3 phase will also run on 220 single phase. You won't get the full power out of it, however. Depending on your application you should oversize the VFD by 25 to75% over the 3 phase motor size. For example, I use a 10 hp. VFD to drive the 7.5 hp spindle on my hardinge CHNC lathe.

Hi Everyone,

I see a lot of discussions about 2-3hp VFD installations, but none for bigger hp situations. I just picked up a 7.5hp lathe 220/3 phase. Like most of you I only have single phase in my shop. It seems like most of the VFD;s I see for 7 1/2 hp are 3 phase input only.

Can anyone suggest one that hopefully isn't $1,000?

I'll appreciate any help any of you can give me.

Brad
Newbie from MN

It would help to know what kind of lathe and if it has other electronics associated with it. Also, what is the long-term usage likely to be? Cutting big pieces or little pieces?

If you're not going to be taking 0.250 cuts on 300lb pieces of material, you might consider swapping the motor with a 3 HP unit and driving it with a 220 single phase with a $180 VFD.

Ray

I would try one of those $230 10hp VFD’s from China. Remember, with a static converter, NO variable speed. That’s a big feature to give up/over look…Dave

I do have a VFD on one of my SB H10 Lathes. Its from automationdirect.com. I can set it to run 1-400 Hz its dangerously fast...... and can damage the windings of motors made with older style magnet wire, newer magnet wire is good up to 1000 Hz usually...
VFD's are great for machines that don't have much or any RPM control, like my horizontal mill it only has a range of 1430-3100 RPM.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the great replies! Everyone had really good ideas to think about. It's an oddball Sunmax GBL-1760. It looks like it has 12 speeds between 45-1400 rpm. It will see very little use so I can get by without the variable speed if it means I save a bunch of money! And when I do use it I won't be in any hurry so I'm not likely to load the machine up much. I've never run one before so I'll be playing it safe and probably not use anywhere near the full amount of power it has.

Here is a link to about the only info I can find about it:
https://nsmachine.com/product/17-x-60-sunmax-engine-lathe/

Most VFDs rated for 220 3 phase will also run on 220 single phase. You won't get the full power out of it, however. Depending on your application you should oversize the VFD by 25 to75% over the 3 phase motor size. For example, I use a 10 hp. VFD to drive the 7.5 hp spindle on my hardinge CHNC lathe.

Really? That would open up a world of possibilities. I had no idea you could do that. I did find one that specifies 1 phase input for $300. I'm willing to gamble on it. Seem reasonable?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10HP-7-5KW...844487&hash=item33d571b64a:g:xOQAAOSwI6RZw386

You dont need a VFD to run a 220 volt 3PH motor with 1PH. I run all of my machines with static phase converters, and 220 volt 1PH. You just wire a bunch of capacitors to one of the wires from the walll and one of the wires from the motor and the other two motor wires go to the wall. it will fire right up.

this guy explains it better......

Genius! That guy is awesome and so are you. He's even cheaper than I am. Your idea is in the lead now. I'm going over to all my friend's houses and steal the capacitors out of their A/C units.

Genius! That guy is awesome and so are you. He's even cheaper than I am. Your idea is in the lead now. I'm going over to all my friend's houses and steal the capacitors out of their A/C units.

They even have air conditioners in Minnesota?

Back