7" Rhodes Shaper, Anyone have one?

Hi Janderso
I have a 7" Rhodes thats torn down for a complete rebuild. If you need pic's of any assembles I can check my files.
The original scraping was done in a basket weave pattern. Looks nice but after measuring the components I found
the scraping was done more for looks than fit. Some parts are out as much as .004"/ft.
It may be that some scrapers did the job well and others just did it for looks.
Mine doesn't have the oil pan.
What I see of your base looks original. My base has an extension for the motor mount that looks factory made.
Looking forward to seeing your machine.
JimView attachment 281873
Scraping in patterns like that is meant for oil retention pockets (and to make it pretty), not for making the surface flat and planar. If they were doing it strictly for oil retention, it would be better done on the bottom surfaces of the upper parts. When it is on the bottom surfaces, facing up, you pretty much know that aesthetics was with major concern.

Here are pictures of My Rhoades shaper.

shaper 1.JPG

shaper 2.JPG

shaper 3.JPG

shaper 4.JPG

I did better than that!!
Beautiful shaper Mr. Costello

Beautiful indeed mcostello!
I see you even have the original vice.

Yes, all the drive parts were scrounged. The electric motor came from a company junked Atlas drill press. The big pulley came from a customer return. Bearings were takeoffs. The step pulley was fabbed up from parts. I used to make belts professionally. Would tell You all what I paid for the basic shaper but it would ruin several keyboards from being soaked with tears. :) . Have made more money with it than it cost, so I am in the clear, let alone the satisfaction of running it.

As I may have mentioned, the scraper I purchased is about two hours away. The seller has it in his shop along with the B&S 618 Micromaster I bought.
I have been keeping in touch, I sent him a Christmas card and he responded with a Christmas card and letter.
In the letter, Pete Sr. said, "Jeff, I scraped off some paint.." I panicked!
Keep reading Jeff... "I scraped some paint off the scraper, it looks to be a Rhodes".
I was pretty positive it was because Bemnychree (John York) remembers it and told me he thought it was a Rhodes 7".
I can't pick up the equipment until late spring due to a soft spot in front of the roll up door. (It's going to be a long winter.)
The Surface Grinder is HEAVY.
I'll share pics when I get it.
Bob, I won't pimp it up.

Karl_T , Those vertical shaper attachments are more rare than hens teeth.

Back