700 series carriage lock

I threw a longer hex head bolt in there it works fine... looks like **** and my little square drive wrench don't fit it ;p I will look next time im at ace but I have my doubts...although they are the best bolt bin in my area I do have to go to the next town over to hit the ace... I tried a quick online search but didn't really come up with a store that sells them... im sure if I spent more time on google there has to be one...

So is the bolt not long enough overall or is it just that the threadless end portion is bottoming out so that only 2 threads are able to engage?

even if it was threaded to the end it would be a touch short. mind ya it would work but theres no reason to not have a few threads protruding the bottom of hte flat cast piece theres nothing under it which would get hurt..

You could make this an opportunity to upgrade and add a Kipp handle. No wrench required.

IMG_0913.jpg

Saw that handle and got inspired to make one for my Logan - either I'd knock the wrench off the bolt if I left it there, or I would take it off and couldn't find it. Not as nice as the Kipp handle, but it works well so far. I made it to kinda match the one I did for the QCTP. My wife 3-d printed the knob for that one. IMG_3456.jpg

The carriage lock bolt that came with my lathe appears to be homemade, with the square head hand filed and a washer added. It is about the same length as yours, and only feels like it has engaged three or four turns into the nut, so that bare section on yours may be the issue. IMG_3461.jpg

Saw that handle and got inspired to make one for my Logan - either I'd knock the wrench off the bolt if I left it there, or I would take it off and couldn't find it. Not as nice as the Kipp handle, but it works well so far. I made it to kinda match the one I did for the QCTP. My wife 3-d printed the knob for that one.
View attachment 307364

It looks as though both your handles are nicely made. The only advantage of the Kipp handle is that
it can be clocked around if needed.

The carriage lock bolt that came with my lathe appears to be homemade, with the square head hand filed and a washer added. It is about the same length as yours, and only feels like it has engaged three or four turns into the nut, so that bare section on yours may be the issue. View attachment 307379
yes if mine was threaded to the bottom it would definatly work... another 1/4 " or so would be even better.. not finding much for replacement bolts so far. square headed bolts are out there but to find them with the built in washer.. maybe theres a proper name for them that I don't know..... finding bolts localy is a joke I don't even bother looking anymore.

Saw that handle and got inspired to make one for my Logan - either I'd knock the wrench off the bolt if I left it there, or I would take it off and couldn't find it. Not as nice as the Kipp handle, but it works well so far. I made it to kinda match the one I did for the QCTP. My wife 3-d printed the knob for that one. View attachment 307364
do you get enough force on the bolt with 1 short pull of the handle to lock your carriage tight? really like that handle on your qctp finding the wrench all the time is gettin old..

It seems to work well. When the wrench was on there, it would be about parallel with the ways when loose, and a bit less than 90 degrees when tight - and the new handle is about the same. It's loose in the photo above, and the carriage is tight in this one:IMG_3457.jpg

If it loosens up over time I figure I can locate some thin washers to adjust things if needed. I had the same issue with the qctp wrench, and that handle was the first project I did after installing it. I had to order a weird metric tap to fit the qctp post that I'll probably never use again, but it was well worth it.

hmm might have to do something like that ball handle... just did it on the qctp.. came out pretty good.... but back to the saddle lock... the longer bolt worked for a bit but seemed I was always having to tighten it a bit tighter... rest of the threads gave out in the little cast iron locking piece.. not sure what im gonna do with that.. its not just a matter of drilling it bigger and threading a bushing as the hole goes into that piece on a compound angle.. for some reason..

Back