750W 8"x16" Lathe (4 jaw chuck question)

Reporter

Registered
Registered
Considering buying one of those 8X16 lathes because of the 1.5" head stock capabilities to meet my needs. (Have a 11X48 Rockwell). Appears the mini lathe is only available on eBay approx $850 delivered.

My question relates to purchasing a 5-6" "independent 4 jaw chuck" with large opening that will fit the mini lathe. Read where some have had to open the bore diameter of the 4 jaw chuck to take advantage of the large 1.5" head thru capabilities. I have no idea what chuck (specifications, mounting) I need to look for.

Is this the lathe you're looking at?

I just had a look at my chuck, which is a 5" Bison 4-jaw and it has a bore diameter of a bit over an inch. I believe that their
6" chucks have a bore diameter of around 1 1/2", though a 6" chuck is pretty big for an 8" lathe. I would contact the seller
and ask what chuck mounting method is used on that machine. As you know, a 1 1/2" spindle bore is unusually large for an
8" lathe.

Thanks for the reply...I tried to post the eBay link but wasn't allowed? Anyway most of the sellers on ebay for this specific lathe model sell mostly sex toys! Check out their ebay stores. The one messaged knows little about the lathe...but I bet very helpful with vibrators :)

Wish I could locate another source selling this lathe other than on eBay. One Youtube individual mentioned installing a 6" chuck (4 jaw) on the lathe but gave no details.

I would NOT buy a lathe from ebay from a seller that mainly sells sex toys. If something goes wrong with the lathe, and it very likely will, then what hope do you have of any support of any kind from the seller? This is a bad idea.

I suggest you rethink this purchase and look at Precision Matthews or Grizzly. If the lathe you need costs more than your current budget then save up until you have enough money. That's what I would do, anyway.

Somebody else must be selling these specific lathes...just can't locate another source. They even manufacture this lathe as a 8.7 × 29.5 1100W 1.5HP Mini...more than I want. Like I mentioned I already have a Rockwell 11X48 all tooled up.

I recall that someone on the forum bought one of those things from ebay. Has a 5MT spindle taper, which is huge for an 8" lathe. Not sure who else sells this lathe, sorry.

The problem with buying Chinese lathes like this one is you will have zero product support if (or more likely when) you need it. The large spindle bore and hardened ways are unusual for a lathe in that size range, but what you can't acertain
is how good the machine really is, and at that price I wouldn't place any bets. It won't be even remotely as well made as
your Rockwell. mikey's advise is sound: Grizzly and PM sell good machines and offer real product support, and yes, they'll cost more than $850.00.

Thanks guys..There are plenty of videos related to this lathe with owner is satisfaction. I bought a mini Chinese milling machine form the Little Machine Shop and am very happy with it's quality. My original post was related to four jaw fitment then this post got off track. As I pointed out I have concern with the sellers...seems that each one only sells them as a sideline, obviously support would be limited. Still trying to locate a source that specializes in machinery before I commit (if I do).

k72-160 4 jaw. You will need to turn the lathe spindle to 65mm register then mount the 4 jaw and mark the 4 holes you have to drill for the mounting screws. If you want to put the 3 jaw back make a thin spacer 65mm ID x 95mm OD x 1/8. Put spacer on register and then mount 5" original chuck.

Last edited:
Back