750W 8"x16" Lathe (4 jaw chuck question)

I would NOT buy a lathe from ebay from a seller that mainly sells sex toys
No joke lol. What a mix of products, cotton candy machines, lathes, less innocent stuff.

OK, I really got a chuckle out of this picture...

1612303921208.png

1612303951264.png

Rereading this post, I want to clarify that I am not picking on @Reporter at all. The eBay listing just had some comedic elements. We are very happy to have you here and we want to get you a good lathe. I'll stand by the sentiment that buying one from a no-name eBay seller doesn't offer you much confidence in the product quality or their ability to resolve issues. I also would not want a lathe that nobody else has since no one will be familiar with it to help you out.

Grizzly and Precision Matthews would be where I would start looking for a new machine. There are also industrial surplus houses that sell used equipment. That is where I got my lathe. They usually carry larger stuff though.

here is a thread on this type lathe https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/mx210-d-s-mt5-8x16-lathe-review.73539/page-3#post-798672

maybe the biggest problem is the banjo doesn't actually work for many threads and it needs to be modified.

I've had my headstock ripped down and I'm a bit concerned the spindle wall is too thin (3.5mm) but after a **** ton of hours tuning tweaking I have mine working ok, I just hope the spindle doesn't fracture and cause a disaster. I tore down a 7x10 mini lathe which had stress fractures all through the spindle.

Back