76mm tank gun

Nichrome wire, an alloy of nickel and chromium is used in electric heating elements; it is very resistant to oxidation at high temperatures.

While in the navy on a heavy cruiser I made the following observations:
The 3 inch would seem to penetrate you to the bone with it's loud crack.
The 5 inch was just as loud but milder somehow.
The 8 inch could hardly be heard while below decks.
Not what the initiated would expect.

;

The front would be called the muzzle, the other end is the breech. I think I'd want to know how securely the plug is welded into the chamber at the breech end.
Thanks
I bought the tank in England and it was very far for a power outlet 500m.long cable
So the welds are not the best

Nichrome wire, an alloy of nickel and chromium is used in electric heating elements; it is very resistant to oxidation at high temperatures.
Can you bay it eBay Is it legal to export

Nichrome wire is available on Ebay. It is typically used for heaters. It should be no problem to import or export.

I would simply drill a small hole in the breech and insert cable fuse, if this is legal. This fuse generally burns at a rate of 10mm per second and is extremely consistent. 30g of FFG black powder wrapped in ordinary copy paper, will suffice as a powder charge. This charge will make propel a tennis ball (67 mm dia) 300 meters with the barrel at a 45 degree elevation.

This is with 1 meter long barrel. I suspect you can do better, as your barrel is ~2m long. Of course, you can increase the amount of powder (even double) for more dramatic effect.

Black powder is an explosive, rather than a modern propellant. As such, it is inherently dangerous, as it may leave hot embers in the barrel, which can ignite the powder charge while reloading.
Basically, you have a muzzle-loading cannon...an improved 1/2-scale Napoleon 12-pounder, if you will. Your loading regime should mirror the process used for these cannon.

Do not forget that black powder is corrosive, so you will need to clean your barrel periodically. Hot water, drain, swab dry, then light oil.

Have a blast!

I would simply drill a small hole in the breech and insert cable fuse, if this is legal. This fuse generally burns at a rate of 10mm per second and is extremely consistent. 30g of FFG black powder wrapped in ordinary copy paper, will suffice as a powder charge. This charge will make propel a tennis ball (67 mm dia) 300 meters with the barrel at a 45 degree elevation.

This is with 1 meter long barrel. I suspect you can do better, as your barrel is ~2m long. Of course, you can increase the amount of powder (even double) for more dramatic effect.

Black powder is an explosive, rather than a modern propellant. As such, it is inherently dangerous, as it may leave hot embers in the barrel, which can ignite the powder charge while reloading.
Basically, you have a muzzle-loading cannon...an improved 1/2-scale Napoleon 12-pounder, if you will. Your loading regime should mirror the process used for these cannon.

Do not forget that black powder is corrosive, so you will need to clean your barrel periodically. Hot water, drain, swab dry, then light oil.

Have a blast!
Thanks for the info

Then I would not trust that weld. I hope that the breech was properly locked prior to the weld needing done.

In a brass field gun, a 9 pounder, we used only 4 oz of 2F black powder wrapped in multiple layers of aluminum foil. A drinking straw as a quill, with a long section of tape that had 3F black powder on the sticky surface, inserted into the straw. Even the quill/straw would make a pretty loud crack out in the open! The main charge would not really shift the gun, but over time the gun did have to be repositioned from time to time. Yes this charge will hurt/kill you if you do not follow the proper technique. After every firing we have to swab the barrel to remove the possibility of hot embers still remaining from previous charges and black powder can be set off from the force of the ramrod hitting the charge as the charge is seated in the breech end of the barrel.

I could go on but please consult an expert in muzzle loading guns i.e. Artillery, preferably someone with knowledge of the Napoleonic time period. Most manuals of arms covering guns were written just prior to this time and are the best ones, even today.
Pierre

Then I would not trust that weld. I hope that the breech was properly locked prior to the weld needing done.

In a brass field gun, a 9 pounder, we used only 4 oz of 2F black powder wrapped in multiple layers of aluminum foil. A drinking straw as a quill, with a long section of tape that had 3F black powder on the sticky surface, inserted into the straw. Even the quill/straw would make a pretty loud crack out in the open! The main charge would not really shift the gun, but over time the gun did have to be repositioned from time to time. Yes this charge will hurt/kill you if you do not follow the proper technique. After every firing we have to swab the barrel to remove the possibility of hot embers still remaining from previous charges and black powder can be set off from the force of the ramrod hitting the charge as the charge is seated in the breech end of the barrel.

I could go on but please consult an expert in muzzle loading guns i.e. Artillery, preferably someone with knowledge of the Napoleonic time period. Most manuals of arms covering guns were written just prior to this time and are the best ones, even today.
Pierre
Thank you Pierre
No i have to remove the old plug and turn a new plug and weld it god

You don't need nichrome wire. Break the glass in an incandescent automotive bulb and solder your lead wires to the contacts on the base. When the powder ignites it will all be destroyed anyway. Bury the filament in the powder and use a 12 volt battery to set off the charge.

Back