76mm tank gun

You don't need nichrome wire. Break the glass in an incandescent automotive bulb and solder your lead wires to the contacts on the base. When the powder ignites it will all be destroyed anyway. Bury the filament in the powder and use a 12 volt battery to set off the charge.
Ok the redneck way hehe

If it were my tank (In America we all have unlicensed fully operation tanks but only some states allow us to carry them concealed; mine is concealed as a '78 Civc). I would create a supplemental chamber for it to ensure that it was safe. It would also be a lot more efficient terms of powder-to-BANG! ratio. Get a cheap muzzle loader barrel and create a way to support it in the barrel of the tank; maybe so the muzzle of the supplemental barrel is 20-40 cm past the muzzle of the tank gun. Give it a secure stop that rest on the tank muzzle so firing doesn't send it back out of reach (to the breech; trying to avoid rhymes here). Then rig up whatever firing mechanism you want (if you have model rocketry there then get some igniters, they'll fire with a 9V battery) and run your line as needed.

This way it's 1) Very safe because you know the barrel is fine and the explodey part is OUTSIDE the tank interior. 2) It's a lot cheaper because 50 grains of BP in the .50-.75 caliber barrel will making a satisfying pop. A little BP way back in the tank gun may end up as more of a FOOP! sound, due to the bore volume to gas volume ratio, unless you want to load it up with a good 1/2 pound charge. The cost of the barrel is a little higher at first but you'll save all of that in cost of powder and/or trips to the hospital.

I like that idea of a sub caliper liner!
Pierre

He's not throwing a 5lb~10lb load downrange, just a bit of confetti. Pretty much doubt 2oz~4oz BP would be able to move breech plug even if lever wasn't fully closed before welding. BTW, don't underestimate the weld, even at lower volts/amps wit crazy long leads, smaller diameter rod will still penetrate a decent amount plus, probably only done to prevent rotation

He as the deactivated cannon is no pipe welders

DSC00974.JPG

DSC00975.JPG

DSC00976.JPG

DSC00977.JPG

You could load it like a cannon barrel , take a paper cup line it with aluminum foil , fill it with black powder . Twist the excess aluminum foil around the top of the cup lifting it out of the cup once wrapped there's your charge . You'll need an 1/8" hole drilled about an inch past the breach plug ,, welded end ,,,. Plus you'll need a ramrod to push the charge to the bottom of the barrel breach plug. After seating the charge tamp some waddling or tennis ball go into the tank and here you need a pic to pierce the charge and push the fuse in . Oh take the ramrod out of the barrel , light your fuse and then get out to watch the fun. Then you can load and go again. 2f powder should work.

That looks dangerous, no breach block at all and a very poor weld job. Happy I'm many 1000's of KM away. :cautious:

Picture IS worth a thousand words. Didn't realise breech block was completely missing, thought plug was welded in then block welded. Wouldn't matter if weld was '****ty' when done that way

Why not try removing the plug. Then manufacture your own chamber to fit the barrel. To make it for black powder it would be nice to use receiver from a bolt action black powder rifle or even a shotgun . You can tell how porous the welding is by the rust ring . I wouldn't use the barrel without some better lock up. Any explosion in that now may blow that plug right out towards the shooter in the tank. Do you have the breech???

Reactions: kvt
Back