7x Spindle And Spindle Bearing Upgrade

brav65

Active User
Registered
I have had my 7x12 HF mini lathe since December but have been working on my mill. I finally got the lathe out of the box and cleaned up this week. I am now ready to get it all adjusted and ready to go. I picked up a new spindle with a 4 inch collar that will accept a 4" chuck with no adapter required. I am also going to install new tapere roller bearing and a Machtach tachometer with the reader inside the head. Here are the parts:

image.jpg

I am planning to take pictures along the way which may help others who are considering this project. I will also put together a complet parts list and suppliers for each part. I have been researching this for the last few weeks. Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Brooks

This is going to be interesting and educational. Thanks for doing it!

Should have said something Brooks, as I have that spindle collecting dust on a shelf somewhere (may use it in a project someday). Bought it for my 7x16 but mine used the long spindle like the LMS lathes do. I did do the upgrade to tapered rollers. Big difference. I think you will like this upgrade. :)

Thanks guys. I orded the spindle from Amadeal in England $65 delivered to my door. I will probably regret putting all the money in this little lathe but it will be a good learning experience.

Remember that you are supposed to cut down one of the spacers to make room for the new bearings. I don't know that they still carry it but they also had a puller kit at micromark that is for the bearings on the mini lathe. I have one and it is nicer than doing it without.

Thanks David I looked at micromark and did not see the kit. I have some threaded rod, copper tube, PVC pipe and wood to make my own rig. I bought an extra spacer so I could turn it down prior to tear down. I am also adding a segmented wheel for an optical reader that is part of a tachometer I will be adding to the lathe. I want to locate it inside the headstock to keep contamination away from the reader. I will also be able to rout all wiring internally to give a more finished look. I am some what of a perfectionist when it comes to projects so I take a fair amount of time to research and design my projects to make them appear to be OEM. Just my pride showing is all. It's nice to have people ask where I bought something and then tell them I made it.

I look forward to seeing it come together

Should have said something Brooks, as I have that spindle collecting dust on a shelf somewhere (may use it in a project someday). Bought it for my 7x16 but mine used the long spindle like the LMS lathes do. I did do the upgrade to tapered rollers. Big difference. I think you will like this upgrade. :)
Uh-oh, I thought all the spindles were interchangeable. So if this spindle won't fit the Microlux 7x16, where can the 4" be found to fit? I was also hoping to do this modification also. The taper bearings for sure.

The one I bought (Bull?) with the 4" flange only fits the geared, i.e., two-speed heads. My 7x16 used a considerably longer spindle which is the same one the LMS high-torque lathe used. According to Chris at LMS the MM 7x16 is basically the same lathe as the one he sells, just with a longer bed. As to your question about a spindle to fit that lathe? I never found one and ended up selling the lathe (but not for that reason).

Back