7x Spindle And Spindle Bearing Upgrade

I purchased the bearings from LMS. They list machine comparability for each style of bearings.

Arc Euro has really good suggestion for bearings, think I will try to use those if I ever decide to upgrade.
7026B angular bearings seam to be of the same size as originals unlike 30206 taper roller bearings which are wider according to them.

Well I got started on tearing down the lathe today. Following the ArcEuro instructions it only tools about 30 minutes.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

I took lots of pictures to ensure that I can put everything back where it belongs..

image.jpg

When you start to take the high low gear change selector off make sure you take out the spring and ball bearing out as they are easy to lose.

image.jpg

My spindle came out of the headstock with a couple of firm taps from a dead blow mallet. I pulled the bearing off the spindle with a gear puller so I could salvage the bearing cover for re install later.

I also cut a windo in the headstock so that I will be able to lubricate the bearings and gears without having to pull the head stock off.

image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg

Tomorrow I will make up a cover with a window in it and get everything re installed

I'm about to do a similar upgrade to my Sieg C3 (7 x 14). I noticed the Arc Euro suggestion of using angular contact bearings. The SKF engineering book gives the following values
Deep groove (standard) bearings dynamic load rating 19,500N
Angular Contact bearings dynamic load rating 23,800N
Taper roller bearings dynamic load rating 40,200N

So TRB have nearly twice the load rating of the next best.
I'll be using Taper Roller Bearings!!
cheers
Bill

I used the tapered roller bearings and have been very pleased with the results...

Thanks,

Charlie
New Jersey, USA

I finished the TRB upgrade a few weeks ago and I'm very pleased with the results, although the bearings are very critical on adjustment. Seems to take a few goes to get them just right. Worth it in the end though!!
cheers
Bill
ps Next up is the tapered gibs for the saddle, followed by thrust races for the cross and compound slides. Then I'll probably sell it!!

I finished the TRB upgrade a few weeks ago and I'm very pleased with the results, although the bearings are very critical on adjustment. Seems to take a few goes to get them just right. Worth it in the end though!!
cheers
Bill
ps Next up is the tapered gibs for the saddle, followed by thrust races for the cross and compound slides. Then I'll probably sell it!!

Hey Bill my lathe is still on my bench in pieces. I got a new job with 12 hour days and am a single dad with little energy left at night. I have had my new spindle in the freezer for 4 months waiting to put the new bearings on! I have thought about selling mine once assembled and moving up to a larger lathe, we will see... Good luck

"Arc Euro has really good suggestion for bearings, think I will try to use those if I ever decide to upgrade.
7026B angular bearings seam to be of the same size as originals"

Maybe it's just me, but aren't the bearings 6206-2RS (or for angular contact, 7206B)? Typo maybe?

I'm sure that the Arc Euro suggestion of angular contact bearings is a good one. The advantage of them is that they are the same size as the original ball races...so no special/new spacers are required. However taper roller bearings will take nearly twice the loads of angular contact bearings, I've copied the stuff from my earlier post, with the load ratings of the relevant bearings................
Deep groove (standard) bearings dynamic load rating 19,500N
Angular Contact bearings dynamic load rating 23,800N
Taper roller bearings dynamic load rating 40,200N
This means everything is a lot stiffer, more rigid. Rigidity is a good thing!!
Best of luck!!
cheers
Bill

Back