7x10 HF Dumb Question of the day:

n3480h

Active User
Registered
Two years ago I bought this used HF 7x10 lathe for $100, including some tooling and extra gears, etc. With some TLC it has served well, but of course its very limited in length. LMS has the 14" bed on sale for $129, which seems like an obvious improvement. Here's the question: Is it possible to use the old bed to mount the tailstock inline with the new bed, in effect extending the useful length when using the tailstock? Maybe carefully align the beds and mount the entire assembly on a piece of 1/2 steel plate, bolted to the work table?

Tom

I recall seeing pictures of it having been done. I was thinking maybe the mechanics put on the 14" with the 10" attached to the end more to hold the tailstock for longer work. I wouldn't expect to run the carriage onto the 2nd bed with good results unless the mounting was very rigid, but still that'd be a huge improvement for things that are just a little longer than you can now do.

I'd opine that you'd be better off holding onto the money and finding a larger lathe. It seems that anytime anyone tries to turn a machine into something it's not, seldom does it end well.

Steve

Thanks, Steve. I would not run the carriage out any further than the 14" bed and screw would allow. I was just thinking the tailstock could be positioned further back if the extra (original) bed could be aligned properly (not welded or brazed and surface matched). Already looking for a 10" lathe for larger work, so I have to agree that the little HF has its limits that shouldn't be exceeded. I'll keep the little lathe just because the variable speed has me spoiled - and it does make accurate small parts.

Tom

Sure. It all depends on your needs vs talent and materials available. Years ago, Dad and I mounted the tailstock of a 16 X 60 American onto a table in order to polish a hydraulic ram. In your case, for best accuracy and ridgididity, I'd mount both beds onto a single piece of steel. Second best would probably be some heavy angle iron or an I beam. On second thought, an I beam might be the best choice.

Bill

Hmmm, I do have some 4' x 4"square x 1/4" wall steel tube.:thinking: We'll see how the hunt for the larger bench lathe goes. Can't go too big for space reasons, too many other pieces of equipment going into this new home shop.

Oh wait - what was I thinking "too many"? That's crazy.:))

Tom

I posit that the extension would be iffy at best and that as Steve said it would probably be better to buy a larger lathe and use less of it than attempting to extend a 7X10. Lemgth is great, but ypu will want extra swing over the bed and that is not feasable with the parts you currently have. A used 9X or 12X macjine could be had for not much more than the LMS kit and you would be able to go back to work much quicker after a good clean and lube and general all over tighten and tweak. I also have a 93212 and it is great within it envelope, but the envelope is limited and so is the available power and accuracy. Just my 02, but I think uou could get a bigger bang for your buck with a larger, purpose built machine too.
Bob

There are some people that extend them but you are losing a lot of rigidity and end up with something less useful than a larger lathe. The 14 in bed kit is a great upgrade and well worth the money. I did it on mine and it makes the lathe much more usable. The biggest reason being the ability to have room for larger drill bits in the tailstock. The other side benefit is a greatly improved motor mount.

Once I had the extra length, it took away my desire for a larger lathe for the time being. Even if you eventually get a large lathe, at 7x14, it is a really nice size for small parts. I have access to large lathes at work and I still prefer using my little one for most stuff.

Once I had the extra length, it took away my desire for a larger lathe for the time being. Even if you eventually get a large lathe, at 7x14, it is a really nice size for small parts. I have access to large lathes at work and I still prefer using my little one for most stuff.

Interesting that you should say that. The guy I bought the 7x10 from upgraded to a 12x. He told me later that he wished he'd kept the 7x10 too. Perhaps its greatest value is that it has been a forgiving little lathe and a great one to learn on. I went ahead and ordered the 14" bed today. There will be work for a larger lathe later, but I believe I will learn from my friend that I bought it from, and from the good people here on this site.

I appreciate your comments gentlemen.

Tom

Back