7x10 mini lathe moter replacement

A

abunai

Forum Guest
Register Today
The motor is ready to die. The fan already exploded.
Looking for suggestions on a replacement motor.
Doesn't have to be an exact fit.

The fan already exploded.

I'm not too sure what that means, but I am curious, were you doing super heavy cuts and it started to go all of a sudden?

It should not be too hard for us to find a replacement motor option for your 7x10, but I am wondering which model you have.

This may be what you are looking for though...

https://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=1311&category=

You can always go for the cheap route, or take this opportunity to upgrade to a brushless system.

How does the motor mount. Would a industrial sewing machine motor adapt to it.. there variable speed reversing , even brushless models too. And there not costly .

I don't want to replace it with another of the same kind.
It will only blow again.
How heavy duty are sewing machine motors????

Going by the ones I've seen and used they're reliable and run strong , speeds can be set to what you want . Most have dial in or push button style controls. With the lathe type set up I'm sure it'll work just great , compared to the picture of the replacement . Ck them out on eBay some are up to 1HP and speeds 5,000 rpms and more , the new brushless models are more compact. I know if I ever need one that's where ill look first. Most cost $100. - $300. At most .

I checked on the LMS web site.
Their motor is a 250W 110V. $186.95:oops:
Little to expensive for me.
What is 250W compared to HP?????
Most motors I see on ebay, are listed in HP and not watts.

1HP is about 750 watts. But you won't get a real 1-horse output from a 750 watt motor because they aren't 100% efficient. You won't see any machines in this class sporting horsepower specs. It's all about what looks better to the average consumer, 250 watts or (at most) 1/3HP ....

Thank you all for the info
I will be looking for a motor with a little more power than 250W / 1/3HP.
Mounting is not a concern. I will make it fit some how.
It's a spare machine that a friend was using.
Don't really need it, but good to have a small lathe around.

Mounting is not a concern. I will make it fit some how.
It's a spare machine that a friend was using.
Don't really need it, but good to have a small lathe around.
Is it possible to connect the lathe to a bigger induction motor via pulleys?something like the older Logan ,Craftsman,SB ? just thinking out loud.

Back