• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You
  • June Project of the Month (Click "x" at right to dismiss)
[4]

8 32 tap in brass help ???

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

umahunter

Active User
I need to run an 8 32 tap in some brass. I don't have the suggested # 29 .1360 bit closest i have is 1/8 .1250 or 9/64 .1406 for a 8 36 they suggest a 9/64 can be used is the same diameter just a couple more threads. any reason I should go under the suggested diameter and use an 1/8 or over the suggested diameter and use a 9/64 the thread will be less than 3/8 th in depth and it's not holding anything critical i can lock tight it if needed I've gone with an undersized drill bit carefully on aluminium before in a pinch with a #12 with nothing this small but brass is pretty soft lol just don't wanna snap only tap I have in this size and no one in my town carries singles of numbered bits thanks for any help :)

umahunter

Active User
Correction it's some kind of steel with a brass colored coating it's really soft chineseium I suspect it drilled a pilot hole like butter

benmychree

John York
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Use the 9/64 drill, close enough.

markba633csi

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
9/64 make it a little looser in steel

Last edited:

umahunter

Active User
Thanks I went with the 9/64 it worked fine it was just to hold on a mag base indicator that broke it's pretty tight but I'll locktight it later if I need to thanks guys :)

[6]
[5] [7]