8 32 tap in brass help ???

U

umahunter

Forum Guest
Register Today
I need to run an 8 32 tap in some brass. I don't have the suggested # 29 .1360 bit closest i have is 1/8 .1250 or 9/64 .1406 for a 8 36 they suggest a 9/64 can be used is the same diameter just a couple more threads. any reason I should go under the suggested diameter and use an 1/8 or over the suggested diameter and use a 9/64 the thread will be less than 3/8 th in depth and it's not holding anything critical i can lock tight it if needed I've gone with an undersized drill bit carefully on aluminium before in a pinch with a #12 with nothing this small but brass is pretty soft lol just don't wanna snap only tap I have in this size and no one in my town carries singles of numbered bits thanks for any help :)

Correction it's some kind of steel with a brass colored coating it's really soft chineseium I suspect it drilled a pilot hole like butter

9/64 make it a little looser in steel

Last edited:
Thanks I went with the 9/64 it worked fine it was just to hold on a mag base indicator that broke it's pretty tight but I'll locktight it later if I need to thanks guys :)

Back