8 Foot Lazy Susan for Kitchen

Uglydog

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I figured I'd better attempt make the wife happy.
She has had an 8 foot x22"x30" kitchen cabinet which she hasn't been able to find anything in for the last 25 years.
Last spring I suggested that I build a Lazy Susan to replace the shelves and incidentally eliminate her tendency to bank stuff against the back wall until it falls out the front.
The real problem is she uses the shelves like rungs of a ladder. Thus, with her 120# 5'2" frame plus whatever she had manages to stack on each shelf (think multiple sacks of flour) each shelf may need to support up to 100 pounds, and not necessarily evenly dispersed.

Well, I designed 6 round shelves of 11ga (1/8 inch) steel sheet. TIG skip welded with four dividers and a 2 inch edge.
Each shelf can rotate independently as it spins on a 2inch brass bushing and floats on a teflon washer.
Each shelf is secured to the 1/4 wall pipe with two set screws.

All seems to work fairly well. However, I had some heat control during the welding which has messed with the alignment. It seems to be breaking in well. I am getting a little sway in the middle of the shaft when she winds it up. I'm going to make a Steady Rest for the center shelf.

Because the cabinet was wider than it was deep I sheared and bent some boxes that I've hung to better utilize the space.

Overall, she seems pleased. And I got to spend time in the garage! I've been working on this a little each week since last spring. Significant lathe time was involved using my 1947 Powermatic/Logan. But, the best is that since I began the project she hasn't grumbled about buying more tooling or machines! Hmmm, what else does she need?

IMG_0600[1].JPG IMG_0601[1].JPG IMG_0602[1].JPG IMG_0603[1].JPG IMG_0604[1].JPG IMG_0605[1].JPG

And here I was looking to see an 8' dia Lazy Susan :lmao:
Nice work Uglydog

Cheers Phil

Back