[How do I?] 8 Wire 220v Ac Motor With Brake

Inflight

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have motor from a residential elevator that I need to get wired up. The motor is 220VAC, single phase, 1/3 HP and runs at 1750 RPM. The motor includes a heavy gear reduction unit with output to twin sprockets. And at the other end of the motor is an integrated brake that prevents the motor shaft from turning until power is applied to the windings. Since this is an elevator motor, it is reversible and was originally controlled by a simple toggle switch.

The unit was recently removed from a neighbor's house as part of their remodel. It has been working fine in service for well over 50 years. For anyone interested, this is a Shepard Elevator Co from Cincinnati, OH and I believe the elevator was known as a HomeLift. It is a chain driven, single person (350lbs max) capacity elevator.

Please see the attached drawing for the wiring. I have 4 Red wires and 4 Black wires to the windings. Two Red wires are connected to each other and two black are connected to each other so I'm left with two Red and two Black to play with.

There are also 7 smaller wires going to the brake part of the motor. I believe these need to be energized to allow current into the larger wires for the winding.

I haven't tried to open the motor casing, but I can see a centrifugal switch and No starting capacitor.
I did try applying power from L1 to a Red wire and L2 to a Black wire. Tried all combinations like that but nothing happened. I obviously need to get the smaller wires near the brake involved.

Please let me know how to wire this motor.

Shepard Elevator Motor nameplate.jpg Shepard Elevator Motor wiring diagram.jpg

Boy! doing a quick Google search on the Shepard Elevator company pulled up several hits. One in particular was question and answers, not too good for this kind of elevator. the company ThyssenKrupp was the last buyer of Dover who bought Shepard back in the 1950's.
If you were lucky to remotely find someone at Thyssen that has access to the files of Shepard, you would be very lucky. Just from reading some of the posts, there wasn't much documentation out there on these elevators.
Best bet is to take the motor to a motor repair shop and let them sort out the wires for you, if you are wanting to use the motor. IMO put it on eBay and sell it! Take that money and put it toward a newer motor. To me, the motor is pretty limited for shop use unless you have something that would require a motor of this sort.

Thanks for the reply. I did contact Thyssen back when I acquired the motor. They were no help and they claim the no longer support domestic elevators.

I will ultimately disassemble the motor and determine how it works.

Matt

That motor probably had a remote capacitor and some of those wires are attached to the centrifugal switch. It would have made maintenance easier to just access the control box instead of the motor.

Back