80/20 Extrusions

HEAVYMETAL87

Registered
Registered
Has anyone ever used 80/20 extrusions to make a router or laser cutter?

For reasons I cannot explain I would like to use a Sieg X2 head on the router- but that is a further down the line question.

I have not used them for the uses that you are proposing, but I used to use 80/20 extrusions extensively for various modifications to packaging equipment, from guards and shields to adjustable frames, just about anything you can think of. With a little bit of proper planning up front, I believe that it should work quite well for your project.

I also found that even though it seemed expensive to use 80/20, in the long run it was less expensive (in most cases) than fabricating the needed frames from raw stock.

This one frankly throws me for a loop. I would like to make a machine rigid enough to at least cut out shapes in non-ferrous metals, but from what I have gathered trying to make a perfectly flat rail for the gantry to run on is hell.
That is why the extrusions sounded promising.

I have made a couple of cnc routers and plasma cutters with similar extrusion. What size machine are you looking to make? Extrusions also have tolerances for both size ,straightness and twist, hence the bigger the machine ,the more chance of an accumulative error.

You would probably need to use the 80mm x 80mm square extrusions instead of the 40mm x 40mm, and may even need to double them up, depending on length of span as well as how well it is supported. Even then, if you attempt cuts that are too heavy, you will get deflection, causing all sorts of problems. This stuff is amazingly rigid and would probably do well for your project, but you may need to purchase some basic sample pieces first and do some experimenting before committing to your final design.

Yeah I have to do my homework on this one sir.
I think that my mill would have to do the cuts in metal- but as far as the cuts in plastic, wood, etc that is where the router would come in.

I have a 4x8 CNC plasma/router table made from 80/20. I never have used it for routing, but its wired up for it. The machine is very rigid and has had a full sheet of 1/2" (steel) plate without a problem including a full water table.
IMG_0527.JPG
The top rails, gantry and six legs are 3"x3" and the lower horizontal rails measure 1-1/2"x3" as do the rails that support the water table.

I have a 4x8 CNC plasma/router table made from 80/20. I never have used it for routing, but its wired up for it. The machine is very rigid and has had a full sheet of 1/2" (steel) plate without a problem including a full water table.
View attachment 225124
The top rails, gantry and six legs are 3"x3" and the lower horizontal rails measure 1-1/2"x3" as do the rails that support the water table.

Oh mylanta.
That is beautiful sir.
How much does the head weigh- and was the whole thing seriously built just from 80/20 parts?

When we designed and built the router for the high school we used 8020 where it was appropriate. We did a lot of deflection analysis in Solidworks and for our application the 8020 was fine for most things but the long X-rails. The cross section of the 8020 had too much deflection from lateral forces. We ended up using 2" x 6" solid aluminum rails for the X axis backed up with 3' x 3 'x 1/2" aluminum angle. Fortunately we have a machining sponsor who could face and true up the large extrusions. We did use a lot of stiffening plates with the 8020. The router is designed to cut up to 1/2" aluminum sheet.

971_CNC_01.JPG

Back