80 Tooth Idler gear

If it's a metric module gear then as far as I know they are all 20 deg.
That would be great if true!

I was way off on that one. Guess I just never ran into a 14.5 degree module gear yet. I see there are plenty of gauges for them.
They sure are proud of those gear gauges. Maybe they just aren't popular enough to build enough to make the price come down.

Guess I just never ran into a 14.5 degree module gear yet.

Me neither, but I have not yet had to deal with module pitch gears at all......

I see there are plenty of gauges for them.
They sure are proud of those gear gauges. Maybe they just aren't popular enough to build enough to make the price come down.

It just struck me this morning that since Fusion-360 is great at designing gears, maybe I could figure a way to 3D print a set of Module Pitch gear gauges in both 14.5 and 20 degree pressure angles. The set would likely end up looking like those "Play-School" plastic key sets for young children, but it just might work.

-brino

I just repaired a tooth on my broken bull gear. I used that water mix strong putty (the one with the strongman on the can). A couple of tips: use mold release agent (else it will stick and break), wait until long after it sets (else it is not strong enough), shave off one face so there are no bits getting in the way of a clean axial slide, and only slide it off axially (radial yanking will crack it). As you can tell, it took a few tries. When using it to measure, only slide it axially. Measure the widening gap at the new tooth as you are filing to fit. It is good for about 2 or 3 checks, then the tooth breaks off. Clean it up and use the next tooth. When you get close, fit it so that the new tooth is in the middle of the arc. If it has a clean slide, you can go to the real gear fit with bluing for high spots. Do not force anything.

Back