80mm long focal length refractor

G'day Charles, as always I'm constantly amazed by your inventiveness when it comes to makeing a workaround, not only do you make it work, it looks good as well.

Bob

That is very sharp looking! Any chance you could post a pic or two to demonstrate the image quality? Can you take a cell phone pic thru a telescope?
Robert

Thanks Bob and Robert.
I will attempt to get a shot through the scope but they have never been very good in the past.
At present its cloudy nights most nights so I dont know when.
Its mainly a lunar and planetary scope as its focal length is rather long.

Thanks Bob and Robert.
Its mainly a lunar and planetary scope as its focal length is rather long.

Hey, Savarin, don’t forget that these long refractors are great for double star observing, some of my favorite objects. With a long focal length eyepieces (my longest is 60mm) they are very good for a lot of deep sky objects. Besides show stoppers like Saturn and Jupiter and their myriads of constantly changing moons, the Orion Nebula is gorgeous and a real jaw dropper especially good for showing to the general public. Four of my favorite telescopes are long refractors.

CHuck the grumpy old guy

PS I just had a fight with the spell checker on my phone substituting “Savings” and then “Savage” when I typed your name.

Finder scope finished and looking very nice.
However, I now have a cemented 50mm japanese doublet that may be a better objective but it needs the central tube to be another 15mm longer and a different lens cell. Maybe after its all finished.
View attachment 111494

At last I can start on the focusser unit.
I couldnt find any 60mm plate but did find some 100mm round.
Now came the hard part, I dont have a mill but need to convert this cylinder to a block.
It wont fit securely in the chuck.
I scribed the block size on the top of the cylinder, drilled the centre and mounted it on the compound in place of the tool post.
I used a rule to align the scribed line with the face of the chuck.
View attachment 111492
The only tool I could use that had sufficient off set happened to be the Eccentric Engineering diamond tool holder and this proved to be just right held at an angle in the 4 jaw.
View attachment 111490
about half way through here. as I got closer to the scribed line I just had to make a tiny re-alignment to bring it back to spot on.
View attachment 111491
Instead of doing the same thing to the other side I mounted it against the chuck jaws as there was just enough room and have started milling the other side. I'm hoping they will be parallel by doing it this way.
The first cuts seem to point this way.
View attachment 111493

G'day Charles, Brilliant6 work and as usual an amazing way of doing things. I see you're putting a Diamond tangential tool holder thru its paces. I've been wondering if they are worth it. but it looks like they are.
Bob.

I think the Diamond tangential tool holders are well worth while I really like mine. Very simple to sharpen.

Back