833T & 1340GT Questions

Jason812

Registered
Registered
I have been wanting a lathe and mill since I was finished with school in 2006. After a lot of research, I have decided on getting a 3 phase PM1340GT with the preferred package & a PM833T. I plan on ordering them next month & have already downloaded Mark's VFD drawings to add a VFD to the lathe. Besides the belt on the lathe, what else needs to be changed almost immediately on either machine?

833T Question:
Is the z-axis power feed worth getting? I realize it could be used to feed while boring but am curious how well it works in that operation. Due to doorway constraints, this is about as big a mill I can get.

1340GT Questions:
Is it worth getting the quick change tool post Matt offers and plan on upgrading later or should I just pocket the $180 and save up for a Dorian or Aloris tool post?

When I bought my 1340GT a couple months back I bought the Aloris tool post from QMT. You won't notice the extra cost if it all hits at once. ;)

I think the z feed probably is worth it, cranking the head up and down by hand will get rather tiresome.

This is just my opinion, but when I bought my 1340GT I knew that it was going to be a good quality, accurate lathe. So I decided to not put junk accessories on it and stretched myself (and my wallet) to get the best quality chuck (PBA) and QCTP (Dorian) I could reasonably get.

And after four years I'm still glad I did it. My PBA chuck is the most accurate and repeatable chuck I've ever owned. There may be a better one out there, but I can't afford it. :)

I also spent the bucks for a EL400 (DroPros) machine specific dro with magnetic scales. I like having 0.0001 (diameter) resolution on the cross slide, and can actually cut a skinny/fuzzy chip at .0004" with a good sharp tool. My alignment spuds for screwed on compensators need half-thou or less dimensional tolerances or they're too loose.

Again, this is just what I did. YMMV. :)

Last edited:
Makes sense to just get a good QCTP from the get go. Precision Matthews said just pick out which Aloris I want and they will ship it with the lathe plus machine the nut. I might as well get a 5c collet chuck too.

I have PM's set-tru collet chuck and am very pleased with it. According to Matt, it's made in the Bison factory, but doesn't have the badging on it. Or the price tag. :)

I have had my 1340 GT for almost a year and I haven't seen any issues with the belt or with Matt's quick change tool post. Maybe I just don't know any better. I do recommend Dr Mark's control board. I also recently upgraded form a 727V to an 833T. I have both powerfeeds and a DRO from TPAC Tools in boxes waiting for me to have time to install them.

I asked about the belt from other threads questioning the reliability. Knowing me, I will probably replace it almost immediately.

Unfortunately PMT only carries a Bison 5c chuck and the price tag to go with it. I might still get it.

I'm convinced that I will get the z axis power feed as well and even though I didn't mention it, DRO's too. I just figured they were implied.

Originally I wanted a 1440GT (still do) but decided to save some money as the 1340GT will do what I want. For that matter a 1236GT would as well. I will take some of the money saved to get the nicer accessories.

Just get the 1440GT as your second lathe and you can have two setups.

What is wrong with the stock 1340GT belt?

Back