833T & 1340GT Questions

THE PM-933T Z AXIS FEED IS FAR & AWAY WORTH IT !

THAT HEAD IS PRETTY HEAVY AND THE COLUMN IS TALL .
YOU WILL BE WISHING YOU HAD THE Z POWER BY FIRST THE TIME YOU MAKE IT TO THE TOP .

THE VARIABLE SPEED IS THE ICING ON THE CAKE .
I HAVE USED MINE MANY TIMES FOR CONTROLLED FEED BORING .
WORKS FANTASTIC !

A great combination of machines at the price level. The 833T the Z axis drive is a big plus and the X axis drive if you can swing it. On my last bench top mill I built both drives, mostly because off the shelf drives were not available, the Z axis is a must do in my book. The X axis drive will give very clean consistent finishes and handy for repetitive milling. Get yourself a high quality vise, I recommend a 6" w/o a swivel base to start with. These can hold a much wider piece of stock and with 11" of Y travel would be what I recommend. I recently picked up a second 6" Toolmex when they were a bit less, it is a direct copy of a number of other vises, it is made in Taiwan. Otherwise consider the Kurt DX6, save a bit if you buy direct with one that has a blem, or check online when they go on sale. The investment in an accurate and rigid vise is well worth it.

On the 1340GT, I would spring for the Aloris QCTP, like a good vise it is something you use all the time. Save your money and buy a bunch of the inexpensive holders sold by QMT, I would not get any of the kits from Aloris OR Dorian. The Dorian QCTP also is very nice, what I used on my previous and current lathe. Their QC as far as surface finish has been a bit variable, but the function of the holder is great. Their holders are another story, they seem to keep changing the dimensions, a real mismatch between the ones I have. Dorian SDN30BXA, the last one I purchased from Zoro with a 20% off coupon is probably similar to the Aloris through QMT. The stock belt on the 1340GT shed rubber all over the place, anything is better. I used the Gates Tri-Power for years and barely showed any wear, others have used link belts. A matter of preference. Going 3 phase with a VFD gives a lot more control. If you go with a VFD, make your machine a single belt speed machine by flipping the motor pulley and using the belt on the larger motor puller to the larger headstock pulley. I believe it takes a BX27 belt, but measure it up as it varies by belt manufacturer.

Only other recommendation is to add a pump oiler for the gearbox to provide more even and consistent lubrication. A number of different ways to do it, but a simple system works well. the key is to get lubrication to all the holes in particular the bearings which are in the far back right corner near the chuck mount.

A DRO for either/both machines (even inexpensive) is a real plus in particular for someone starting out, but also know how to use the machines w/o it. Glass scales are fine, I have installed my own DRO's, good experience and almost always make my own brackets.

A few considerations to look into, QMT sells the Taiwanese Chandox Set-Tru 3J scroll type chuck, might be worth considering. I have the Bison 5C Set-Tru, I use it most of the time, so was worth the investment. A few people have gone Accusize direct mount D1-4 5C, it might be good enough and they seem to be very good as far as returning it if it doesn't meet spec. Alternate is the SHar's ER40 set-tru style chuck.

Last edited:
1340GT Questions:
Is it worth getting the quick change tool post Matt offers and plan on upgrading later or should I just pocket the $180 and save up for a Dorian or Aloris tool post?

I got the QCTP with my 1340GT. It is JUNK! If I had a do over I would skip the "preferred package" on the mill and lathe.

I got the QCTP with my 1340GT. It is JUNK! If I had a do over I would skip the "preferred package" on the mill and lathe.

Interesting. The QCTP I got with my 1340 GT has been fine. It holds tools and allow precision cuts.

MKSJ, can you elaborate on the oiling upgrade?

I have used Kurt vises in several flavors over the years at work. All the way up to their 8" extra capacity. I will definitely try to find a used one cause they are nice but $$$. I could have drove the 8" to work with what it costs.

Interesting. The QCTP I got with my 1340 GT has been fine. It holds tools and allow precision cuts.

Mine wore internally enough that to raise the gibs far enough to install a tool holder in one of the positions the handle had to be rotated counter clockwise to the point that the handle blocked tool holder installation. It progressively wore to the point where it wasn't worth messing with. I picked up a Dorian and there is no comparison.

Last edited:
I would clean all the packing grease from the gears, as they can block the oil drip holes underneath. I just squirted some oil in each hole on the top drip plate. I used way oil in the pump, either Vactra #2 or even beter Mobile Vacuoline 1409 (sticks better to the gears), otherwise an ISO 68 gear oil. I used a square manifold and some 4mm bijur tubing segments to distribute the oil, Alan (deleted) who is another 1340GT owner used a round tube manifold and threaded in some tubing segments, others (David Best) made a plate distribution manifold. I try to keep it simple...

If you are using a pump oiler with a 4mm (5/32) oil line then you will need a adapter/elbow to go from the tubing to your manifold. See below for examples.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fitting-Pi...-Tube-Tubing-90-Deg-Elbow-N-LbK2/163169545854

I'm about 8 months into my 1340gt. I too went with Mark's VFD mod and I also put on his proximity stop. With no foot brake I really like the proximity stop for threading work. With the VFD I am running the stock motor on a single pulley setup and easily able to go down to 70rpm for parting up to 1800+ without belt changes. Went with the Easson DRO and Aloris QTP, like them both a lot. I still need to do the oiler mod.

If you do put a DRO on it, check out one of Mark's other threads. Did this and it's awesome.
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/pm1340gt-cross-slide-lock-mod-for-dro-machines.36413/

One negative: the "precision balanced" 4 jaw independent chuck upgrade. Recommend skipping right over that option. I failed the buy once cry once principle on that one and spent $380 that should have gone towards a Bison or other expensive but worth it upgrade.. The 3-jaw scroll that came with the preferred package however is perfectly fine.

I just recently added the Shars ER40 set true style chuck. I wanted to run ER40's on both my Bridgeport and lathe. I am amazed at the quality for the price. The back plate comes partially machined requiring some minor finishing that resulted in nearly immeasurable runout between chuck changes. I did get a ball bearing nut for it which seems to help as well. It is my goto for smaller work on the lathe now.

Update:

I realize I haven't posted in a while. I got the machines moved to my shop on Oct the 6th. It turns out the shipping company didn't have a 27ft pup trailer and you can't get a full size trailer down my road, let alone make the turn to get down my drive way. I'm glad I have a friend who farms for a living with enough room and equipment to unload the machines at his place and then have him deliver them to my place.

The mill is in the room and I hopefully get the lathe moved in this weekend or next. It seems that sometimes day to day life doesn't let you make progress as fast as you would like. I ended up with both the 833T and the 1340GT. After just playing with the 833T, I will be glad when I get the Z axis power feed installed. I could see how manually moving the head will wear you out.

Mark Jacobs built the VFD control board with the proximity stop. He is a true resource of information and I am thankful for his work and willingness to share information.

After they are set up, there's still so much to do thanks to all you peeps with the modifications to make life easier. ie, pump oiler on lathe, quill stop on 833GT, spiders and it seems to go on and on...:)

I will start a seperate thread with pictures when they are both in their final spots and under power.

Looking forward to seeing your progress. I have an 833 also, but unexpectedly sold our house and am in the process of building a new house and a new shop, so no time to play with my new tool.

Back