833TV Received

Ariel, I'll get those measurements today when I'm down in the garage.

Kyo, good find on the video. The video mentioned heavymetalcnc.com as a source for the parts to convert the 833T to CNC. Low and behold they have a kit for under $1k.

Base of the base of the mail to the top of the table is 10 and 1/4 inches. I Built my own stand for my mill out of 2"x3" tubing and I have my stand at 36 and 1/2 inch above the floor. I am 6ft tall and find that comfortable.

If you open up the video in YouTube, you will find a link to Dr. D-Flo's website. There he has a complete materials list including the Linux operating system that he used. I believe I am going to head in that direction of converting mine to CNC. During the video he does mention that he uses stepper Motors but wants to convert to Servo Motors down the line. I'm not sure why one would spend the money on stepper Motors and then convert to servos Motors later.

Attachments

• 20200303_101407.jpg
    20200303_101407.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 449
Keep in mind too that in addition to that $1000 that you will also have to buy driver boards, power supply, touch screen monitor, pendant, cables, enclosure and a computer to run all of it ( he uses an Intel NUC).
Now add in the stepper or service motors.

Here's the height from the base of the stand to the chip tray. This is without the standoff bolts to level the stand so you can add and inch or two to this height.

millstandheight.jpg

Got it in place tonight. It was fairly straight forward and not nearly as difficult as getting the 1340GT onto the stands.

We used the tractor and forks to lift it onto the stand and used 1/2" aluminum rod to roll it into place. While it was on the ground (and help) I loosened the bolts for the head to ensure it would move. I didn't want to deal with that on the stand by myself when tramming.

I powered it up and ran the spindle in reverse and forward. What I didn't find was a power switch so I'll have to rig up something.

movemill1.jpg
movemill2.jpg
movemill3.jpg
movemill5.jpg

I installed two switches and a 2 gang 120 outlet yesterday. Flipping those switches powers the accessories and mill.

Cleaning the cosmoline off the mill took no time at all. Certainly not the days it took on the 1340.

The oiler works very well. I gave it a few pumps just to get things moving and I had oil coming down the sides of the column a while later. I didn't see oil on the Y or X so I did those by hand just to be sure there was oil.

I adjusted the spindle R8 taper screw so I could insert a collet. Of course, one fell on the table and left a good mark. So, it's no longer new. LOL

I got the DRO connected. I mounted the display on a pole (it's in a pole barn) next to the mill. I wasn't sure where it would be best mounted to the machine. The little screws that hold the DRO cables to the serial port seem long. When fully tightened the cables move. I may shorten those to get a solid connection.

The Shars 4" vise fits this mill perfectly. With the larger opening jaws I can fit nearly anything I'll machine. I bought two and wider jaws for both from Monster Jaws so I think I'm good there.

I'm starting the X power feed install. The next step is to drill/tap the mounting bolts which I'll do today. Then, I'll tram the X and start the Z power install. Then, I'll get to tramming the nod (Y?).

How tight should the mill base bolts be to the stand? How tight should the bolts on the column to base be? I have a ~10" wrench to tighten them with and that can give a lot of torque. They're tight now but not 500 lbs. gorilla tight. Just curious if others are using a torque value.

The drawbar seems a bit long compared to my LMS mill. There's a full 1" of engagement in a collet before it's tight. That's gonna get old changing tools with that much engagement. What is a good, normal engagement for a drawbar?

The drawbar on my 935 has about that much engagement, but I figure the more the better. My having to spend a few seconds spinning the bar by hand a few extra times is worth in IMO. Besides, I'm retired and it's not like I'm in a hurry or anything. ;)

That's a good looking little mill. Have fun with that thing. :)

I got the X power feed installed. That adds more length to the table that I thought it would so my buddy's coming over tonight to help me move the mill 5" right so I don't hit my bench off the left.

I made an indicator holder on a 8" offset sweep to tram the X. It was off by less than .001. Just loosening one of the three bolts moved the indicator so I did that a couple times and it was right on. I'm sure as soon as I take a heavy cut I'll need to check it all again.

I used the mill to drill and tap holes in steel for indicator holder. I drilled once around 60 RPM. I couldn't really say how much torque it had at that low RPM. I'm betting with a large bit I'd see it.

Next is the Z power feed and tramming the Y. Then, I might be able to get all stuff moved back in place in the garage.

I'll get pictures posted when it's all set done.

Back