845 clutch adjustment

Desertdog

Registered
Registered
I just completely rebuilt the head on my 845 and I can't seem to get the clutch adjustment right. Can't seem to get it to disengage. 845 and 847 are identical other then the head from what I can see and what Marty at Wells Index said. The engage/disengage lever may be the issue but it sure looks like I assembled it right. I attached some photos and the diagram from the manual. Any input appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_2659.jpg
    IMG_2659.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2666.jpg
    IMG_2666.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2787.JPG
    IMG_2787.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2788.JPG
    IMG_2788.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2789.JPG
    IMG_2789.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 7
  • wells index head assembly marked up.png
    wells index head assembly marked up.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2658.jpg
    IMG_2658.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 7
Howdy Desertdog. I know we already communicated but I thought I would share my photos for any others that may benefit. In my case the Feed engagement latch was broken when I bought my machine and was causing the Feed control cam to jam and as you can see, whoever had it before me really pressed it hard to put such a divot in that cam face. I made another Feed engagement latch (not very high quality) as well as another Feed control cam. Luckily, none of the internal clutch mechanism was messed up in my machine but it did take a while for me to understand how the latching parts worked with each other in order to move the brass clutch lever enough to engage the auto-feed. Probably the most important piece was to get the orientation of the Feed engage dog right. If it's rotated with the dog leg in the other direction, the Feed engagement latch won't ever capture it in order to hold it until the Feed trip lever pushes up on it. Pack it all with grease and give it a shot.

autofeed diagram.jpgIMG_2113.jpgIMG_2098.jpgIMG_2024.jpgIMG_2064.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2012.jpg
    IMG_2012.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 3
Thanks to paulymorph for the tip. Sure enough that was my engagement problem. Now I have an issue getting the clutch properly adjusted. Played with the large adjustment nut on the backside and the allen screw adjustment on the front. Seems like I can either get it to engage or not engage but not both. Sure I must be missing something and the manual is clear as mud. Anybody know the procedure let me know please.

Back