• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You
  • June Project of the Month (Click "x" at right to dismiss)
[4]

8mm female square socket?

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

PHPaul

The collet draw bolt (proper nomenclature?) on my Grizzly mill has an 8mm square head. The provided 8mm open end wrench works, but a T-handle socket would be MUCH faster and easier.

I've searched fairly extensively for an 8mm female square socket without success. I'd be happy to make my own if I could find the material or a 1/4 or 3/8 drive socket.

Sources?

I did notice that the T wrench for my acetylene tank is REAL close, I could possibly buy one of those and file the socket out to fit. Tedious, but doable.

Ken from ontario

H-M Supporter - Donating Member
H-M Supporter-Donating Member
I did notice that the T wrench for my acetylene tank is REAL close, I could possibly buy one of those and file the socket out to fit. Tedious, but doable.
I good square file would make an easy job of widening that square hole, that's the route I would take because it is as you said doable and since I've done it a few times I know it'll work. just take your time filing ,file facing sides together ,measure frequently. good luck.

rgray

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
You can probably find an 8 point socket that would do the job.
with a little searching best I found was a 5/16 8 point from Mcmasters.
8mm=.31496 5/16=.312 that's .0015 removal from each flat on your drawbar nut for perfect fit.
https://www.mcmaster.com/#square-drive-sockets/=1db5a1l

RJSakowski

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Try a 3/8" 12pt socket or box wrench. One of my 3/8" box wrenches fits a .314" square snugly.

PHPaul

Ah. Hadn't thought about 8 point sockets. Ordered. Thank you!

kd4gij

Active User
I cut a 1/2" thick of 1" hex stock broached 5/16 square hole in the center it was a nice tight fit. and have a 1" wrench at the mill.

PHPaul

Just a quick follow up:

I ordered and received a 5/16ths, 8 point, 1/4" drive socket. Picked up a cheapo 6" long 1/4" drive extension, TIG'd a Tee handle on it and All Is Well.

[6]
[5] [7]