8mm female square socket?

PHPaul

Registered
Registered
The collet draw bolt (proper nomenclature?) on my Grizzly mill has an 8mm square head. The provided 8mm open end wrench works, but a T-handle socket would be MUCH faster and easier.

I've searched fairly extensively for an 8mm female square socket without success. I'd be happy to make my own if I could find the material or a 1/4 or 3/8 drive socket.

Sources?

I did notice that the T wrench for my acetylene tank is REAL close, I could possibly buy one of those and file the socket out to fit. Tedious, but doable.

I did notice that the T wrench for my acetylene tank is REAL close, I could possibly buy one of those and file the socket out to fit. Tedious, but doable.
I good square file would make an easy job of widening that square hole, that's the route I would take because it is as you said doable and since I've done it a few times I know it'll work. just take your time filing ,file facing sides together ,measure frequently. good luck.

Try a 3/8" 12pt socket or box wrench. One of my 3/8" box wrenches fits a .314" square snugly.

Ah. Hadn't thought about 8 point sockets. Ordered. Thank you!

I cut a 1/2" thick of 1" hex stock broached 5/16 square hole in the center it was a nice tight fit. and have a 1" wrench at the mill.

Just a quick follow up:

I ordered and received a 5/16ths, 8 point, 1/4" drive socket. Picked up a cheapo 6" long 1/4" drive extension, TIG'd a Tee handle on it and All Is Well.

Back