8n Ford Or.. A Fool And His Money

[Edit] Pay some attention to the carb. It may be plugged up due to the old gas having been allowed to dry up in it.
I had a strange no-start problem that baffled me (long story, but it was very intermittent). Turned out there was two grass seeds in the bowl of the carburetor. Sometimes they'd block the fuel flow, and sometimes not.

I run an air compressor many hours a day in winter to prune apple trees...

The 8N is the most fuel efficient engine I've found for this job. The key is low RPM, about 500. You'd think they could have built a better engine for low hp use sometime in the last 80 years since this machine was designed. I have the carb set extremely lean - something you can't do on newer higher RPM smaller engines. its also way quieter than an 8 or 10hp air cooled engine that most people use for a portable air compressor

Karl

Well some good news ...it has acceptable compression. . 1-4 respectively. . 68 .74,83,87 psi so the rings Re mostly free and the valves can't be in to bad a shape .

At the point I'm nearly 98% sure it will run .
so before I get to carried away I need to come up with a solution on fixing the rear wheels

Like you said I have seen them taken off and patch welded, I have depending on how bad they are, I would patch them then look for some used ones. For some reason I think they may be the same ones used on several of the older tractors. There may also be some reproduction ones that fit.

Dont judge the compression till you let it set with some oil and atf mix in the cylinders , one of the main problems with them is the rust factor. They are a very easy rebuild and last forever, The wheels can be had if needed, a cheap comp tester can be had from HF 20 bucks or less. When you buy on the sperm of the moment , things usually cost more to make right. Your budjit dosent seem to be enough maybe you can sell it to someone for a little profit who will fixit and love it?

It has enough compression to start and run , and like you all sY it should improve once it's run a bit .

As to my budget ,.. oh I think I can squeak bye provided I can find a used wheel to cut patches from and weld up these .
I have a lot of confidence in my thrifty nature.

The coil points and such aren't a lot of money , I can go twelve volt including a one wire alternator for not a whole lot more then $100
so my confidence is high

Well we can say goodbye to the tractor .... got bored this afternoon and fooled around a bit with it .

I topped the radiator off back when I first started playing with it just in case it started .

Today I noticed one of the head bolts had a few drops of water around it .

So off came the head .... and viola water problem found .

A freeze crack running about the entire lenght of the water jacket .
Its not a great pic but if you squint you can see it .

That's the death knoll ... it's off to craigslist for parts to get me cash back out of it .
uploadfromtaptalk1467159671033.jpg

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear that. Some would say sleeve it but I know this is not really what you wanted. So if you can sell part or all of it for parts and get your money back out of it. Then go for it.

well if a person was inclined to take a risk the engine would probably still run ... the crack doesn't go into any of the cylinders . It runs long ways along the water jacket .

But it would just be a ticking time bomb .... getting my little bit of money back out of it won't be any kind of problem at all .

There's a butt for every seat and I know there's a guy out there with a 2n or 9n out there just itching to have a four speed transmission and brakes on the right side

Back