8x16 lathes with 210V in their model number. Usually MX-210v or MX210v

Tolerent

Registered
Registered
Model Numbers include: WBL210V, TS-210 8, WM210V, WM 210v, you get it. 210 is the common model number indication and the lathes are generally 150 to 180# and 8x14 or 8x16.

I see a lot of these Chinese lathes on eBay and even on Amazon. they typically weigh 150# or more and currently price between $850 for a basic machine with a 38mm spindle bore and a 3 jaw chuck to $1,200 for a more impressive but still possibly no-name brand with a second (4 jaw) chuck, a steady rest, and a small basic tooling kit.

I want to hear from people who have used one of these lathes or at a minimum have a personal acquaintance who has shared actual experience regarding the series of lathes.

Please in this particular thread only stories of first hand knowledge and only the 8x14 or 8x16 described above. Let us know the spindle bore is > or < 1" and your informed impressions.

Someone has to own these. Don't be shy. Share.

No replies yet but you appear to be tolerent so all is well.
Since I am not experienced as a machinist I think my tolerance is going to push the envelope.

When I worked QC and then QA I developed an understanding that perfection was the target, Viability was the requirement and specifications were the party line. You don't want a reputation for rejecting viable products because they are out of spec and you don't want a reputation for tolerating existing specifications when a demonstrably inadequate or dysfunctional product has been able to meet the published design criteria. It's a dance.

I have a Lathemaster 8x14 same as the Harbor Freight 8x12. It is not a Sieg. I believe it is a Dazheng HD 210. I got it about 9 years ago and at the time there were not other 8" that I knew of. This guy weighs 260 lbs. and has a 3/4" or 19mm spindle bore. When I got it, the lathe was within specs and they still are. Basically, she's a plain Jane but robust. I've done some minor mods such as replacing screws ( the Chinese in my opinion make lousy screws). The last major mod was modify the tailstock. It was sloppy when you tightened and loosen the tailstock. Won't go into too much detail for now. Replace the bolt with one with a larger head, then turned and threaded it to size, added a spring. It's not perfect but this machine will do what I want it to do. I'd like to be more specific and help you more. What do you plan to do?

I have a Lathemaster 8x14 same as the Harbor Freight 8x12. It is not a Sieg. I believe it is a Dazheng HD 210. I got it about 9 years ago and at the time there were not other 8" that I knew of. This guy weighs 260 lbs. and has a 3/4" or 19mm spindle bore. When I got it, the lathe was within specs and they still are. Basically, she's a plain Jane but robust. I've done some minor mods such as replacing screws ( the Chinese in my opinion make lousy screws). The last major mod was modify the tailstock. It was sloppy when you tightened and loosen the tailstock. Won't go into too much detail for now. Replace the bolt with one with a larger head, then turned and threaded it to size, added a spring. It's not perfect but this machine will do what I want it to do. I'd like to be more specific and help you more. What do you plan to do?
If I knew what I would eventually use it for I am afraid I would be looking at something a lot more substantial or at not getting a lathe at all.

I am mostly wanting to get my toes wet with something that will allow me to learn as I go and will facilitate me having a satisfying learning curve. A machine that when I do or if I do graduate to bigger the original will still be considered viable and respectable.

I look at the 7x10 or 6x or even 4x lathes for hobbyists and model builders and think some of them might be respectable. I am really trying to find the lowest entry level machine that is respectable and I had sort of settled on the Harbor Freight 8x14 then started to get the impression that it was indeed a 210v of some sort. But... the HF seems to weigh in 100# heavier then most MX210v, TS-210v, WM210v. So I remain more than a bit confused.

I had heard the Lathemaster was the same machine as the HF and I had also heard it was better than the HF. It appears Lathemaster is no longer.

While I do not have this specific machine I think the question you’re asking has been covered repeatedly on here. General consensus seems to be buy PM if you want new or buy an older more stout machine if you’re willing to take a chance. Any low cost route will require some work to get where you have a good machine, wether reconditioning used or cleaning/setup/modifying a new machine.

If you haven’t already I suggest reading through this thread:

Sorry for responding when you specifically wanted people with experience on your intended purchase but I’m finishing up my own small lathe project and already own one larger “antique” machine. Hope this helps....

Cheers,

John

I now have a better understanding of where you are going. One of the reasons that that I chose the Lathemaster (or in this case also the HF 8") was that it had more cast iron which makes these machines more rigid and therefore should preform better. I like your thinking, I know that some people will disagree with me on this, But I feel that one in the beginning get a smaller machine. There is so much to learn and that includes safety. If you want to learn how to drive you don't start with a semi pulling a trailer. May I also suggest that you check out Little Machine Shop and Grizzly, not just for their machines but also their tooling. I have had dealing with LMS and I know of a person who bought a lathe from grizzly. Both I think are excellent companies. If for some reason the machine does not work out, you can always sell it and upgrade. Just consider it a learning experence . Check out the site "clicksping" on what lathe to buy. He has several lathes and one of them is a sieg SC4 that he uses. He is an amazing machinist. Hope this helps.

Grizzly also makes industrial lathes. I do not think they are Cadillac's. More like a Marathon Cab used to be. Resilient and comfortable but probably not even a little sexy. Anyway I think any manufacturer that makes industrial lathes would be responsible in deciding to put their brand on a white label import. HF has some good tools but very few that are high end. I guess I am figuring that I will make a few mistakes while learning and may gain some advantage by tearing a <$1,000 lathe down to parade rest before I buy a $5,000 PM1340GS or better.

Back