8x30 Milling Machine Restoration

Nice job on your mill, I have the enco copy hopefully ill get it restored to use . It had been used only for drilling before I got it . They said the motor was shot ,, only needed a new capacitor ,, $12.00 USA not China $4.00. I didn't like the small cranks so I ordered 6" cast iron chromed to replace those. If I'm able I do plan on stripping and repaint and bearings also. Dro cheap set to start never had a machine with cheaters on it. Hopping and praying these back problems heal up or go away. Thank you God

Thank you, the job has been glacial but I'm getting down the mountain.

I'm really hoping that you get past those back problems and back out in the shop. In due time though please don't rush it. Hopefully something on this thread is helpfully to you during your rebuild and if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Nick

Nice mill!

Hey, would you by any chance have diameters on your pulleys?

I just bought the variable speed version of this mill, and I'd like to fabricate a set of pulleys so that I get proper mechanical gear reduction in addition to the variable frequency drive.

Nice mill!

Hey, would you by any chance have diameters on your pulleys?

I just bought the variable speed version of this mill, and I'd like to fabricate a set of pulleys so that I get proper mechanical gear reduction in addition to the variable frequency drive.

Thank you.

Here's what my mill has for pulley sizes....

There is no info plate on the motor, but since all the speeds are near identical to the current Griz G0731 I believe it to be a 1.5hp 1725 rpm motor.

Nick

Attachments

• 8x30 Mill Pulley Size Reference.pdf
    10.7 KB · Views: 32
Wow, thanks!!! Much appreciated!

Mine is the variable speed version of the same mill, and my motor, at 60 hz is 1.5 hp, 1725 RPM.

I just have a single pulley set that just about corresponds to the 3rd highest speed with the step pulley.

Hence, it works fine at higher rpm, but bogs down at lower rpm without the true torque increase you get with step pulleys.

It’s a real nice machine, these 8x30s. I’ve used a real Bridgeport previously, and I just sold a crappy round column mill. The round column mill was an exercise in frustration and just felt like a toy. But this 8x30 mill feels just like a real full-size Bridgeport only smaller. It’s very nice to use.

Thank you.

Here's what my mill has for pulley sizes....

There is no info plate on the motor, but since all the speeds are near identical to the current Griz G0731 I believe it to be a 1.5hp 1725 rpm motor.

Nick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wow, thanks!!! Much appreciated!

Mine is the variable speed version of the same mill, and my motor, at 60 hz is 1.5 hp, 1725 RPM.

I just have a single pulley set that just about corresponds to the 3rd highest speed with the step pulley.

Hence, it works fine at higher rpm, but bogs down at lower rpm without the true torque increase you get with step pulleys.

It’s a real nice machine, these 8x30s. I’ve used a real Bridgeport previously, and I just sold a crappy round column mill. The round column mill was an exercise in frustration and just felt like a toy. But this 8x30 mill feels just like a real full-size Bridgeport only smaller. It’s very nice to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sure thing. If you end up making those pulleys make sure to post some pictures. I'd love to see what you come up with.

Excellent Info Radials! I just got an Enco model from 1985 over this past weekend. It's in pretty good shape aside from it never having oil points or grooves installed. I am in the process of trying to figure out the best placement points for my fittings, specifically for the table ways. Does the oil make it to the opposite side of the ways from the fittings installed on the end? I want to place them there for convenience but my feeling is they will not adequately provide lubrication. I also would like to ensure lube gets to the gib and dovetail surfaces. Can you provide some insight to how yours have been working so far, photos of your fitting placement would be fantastic! Thanks for the helpful info thus far!

Hello Paul and congratulations on the new-to-you machine!

My machine progress has really slowed down. As mentioned in the more recent posts I had there was a problem with belt clearance that I failed to realize before fabricating the new belt cover. I have since corrected this but haven't spent much time on this project beyond that partly because of how cold its been here. Now I'm in the process of prepping my current house to rent out and scheming how I'm going to get the milling machine up the very steep driveway of the new house I'm moving into in the coming months. That might require disassembling it again to make it more manageable which kinda makes me glad that the oilier system on my mill still currently is dry. If I do that I'll also correct some things I wish I would have done before assembling it which would include a couple new oil ports perhaps.

Yes, oil is intended to pump into the fitting on the end of the saddle and splits off to the different dovetails of the table as shown below. The center fitting position is where the oil comes up from the knee and ties into this block.

IMG_4949.JPG

Here are a few view the oil takes to get to the top sides of the dovetails from there.

IMG_5707 (2).JPG

IMG_4950.JPG
Oil line turns up and goes though the saddle casting to deliver oil to the top side of the rear dovetail.

Sitting looking through my pictures I'm just not recalling how the oil makes it's way to the gib face along with the opposing dovetail face... I know in the case of the knee the oil is delivered to the back side of the gib which makes no sense. I believe however that in my assessment of the oilier system my mill has I just accepted the fact that the one shot would get oil to many places but some manually applied oil would also be necessary as well. The holes that can be seen in the saddle casting breaking through horizontally to the dovetail in the front are for the saddle locks and in the rear are the drill thru holes for the rear way covers. So i'm not thinking there is any oil delivery to the dovetail.

If/when this machine comes apart again I believe I'll drill and tap some manual oil points as Ted has shown above on his mill.

By the way sorry for the long wait on the reply. Just as mentioned life has stacked up on me over the last few months. Take some pictures and feel free to add them here on what you decide to do with your oil system.

Nick

I’ve got the Taiwan made, Grizzly branded same 8x30 mill.

Got the head trimmed to 5/10’ths tram side to side.

But it’s out about 1.5 thousands in the Y (nod) direction. Guess I’ll have to eventually pull the head off and scrape the pivot surface.

How tight do you guys adjust the knee gibs in z direction on these?

1118b5d1306be3b8538f7052583218a1.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

How tight do you guys adjust the knee gibs in z direction on these?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I'm not sure what to suggest on making the knee gib adjustment. When I was reassembling my machine I only had the knee on the machine and kept tightening it until there was no rock in the knee and no noticeable drag when lowering it.

Nick

Hello all!
I'm a brand new member, so bear with me.
Stumbled across this forum a while back - so much helpful information.

I've been looking for one of these 8x30 knee mills for some time, posted an ad on Craigslist (looking to buy) and recently received a nice email from a guy just down the road in Vancouver, who is selling his 'pristine' KBC branded machine. So I went to see it yesterday and it really is awesome! He wants $2500 CAD for it so i'm really excited to be going to collect it on wednesday. Check out the pics and see what you all think. All the ways are beautifully clean and the spindle is like new. All very smooth and tight throughout.
My next challenge will be to dismantle it, drive it home to Whistler and lug it down the 15 steps at the front of my place, through three 30" doorways and into my shop. Wish me luck!

Attachments

• P1200107.jpg
    P1200107.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 39
  • P1200109.jpg
    P1200109.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 40
  • P1200112.jpg
    P1200112.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 38
  • P1200115.jpg
    P1200115.jpg