9/32" Square Drive Tools?

magicniner

Registered
Registered
Anyone have any?
I bought a couple of 1/4" Square Drive T-Bars recently that turned out to be un-issued British MOD 1954 9/32" King Dick.
I started out mildly annoyed, became bemused and now I think it's kinda funny, I'm waiting for the seller to sort it out but I wondered if anyone had 9/32" Drive socket sets and any opinion on the value of un-issued British MOD 1954 9/32" King Dick T-bars?

Anyone have any?
I bought a couple of 1/4" Square Drive T-Bars recently that turned out to be un-issued British MOD 1954 9/32" King Dick.
I started out mildly annoyed, became bemused and now I think it's kinda funny, I'm waiting for the seller to sort it out but I wondered if anyone had 9/32" Drive socket sets...

Well, yes, I do have a single square-drive handle that fits a single socket, and it
measures 0.281" across the flats, ergo 9/32". The only hints I have as to origin of
these items, is a legend on the socket, "Snap-On Made in USA M-8"
and lettering on the handle "DEco 44B8809".

I take it that there are at least three (possibly defunct) parent companies
whose offspring could fill out a set. Some day. Maybe.

This site http://www.collectingsnapon.com/index.php?page=socket_sets/C9-32inch/9-32 part number guide suggests that 1942 is the last year of Snap-On production.

Last edited:
i don't have them anymore, but i had a set of vintage snap-on 9/32 sq. drive sockets and sliding t-bar.
i gave them to a younger mechanic when he started out years ago.
i wonder if he gave them to someone too???
Williams is an industrial brand that Snap On owns

Last edited:
I've got two SnapOn extensions floating around somewhere.
Grabbed 'em at a flea market. Coated with cosmoline, thought there were 1/4" and at $.50 each what-a-deal!

I just unloaded (3) Proto/Plumb 9/32” drive ratchets, misc sockets and extensions, to a collector last month.

If I'm not mistaken, those were GI. Not that easy to find, but they are out there. Try finding some 5/16" sq drive stuff. And I know 8mm would probably work, but it's more a novelty for me, hardly a need. We have/had a SnapOn rep with us who might be able to shed some light on it. SO made lots of tools for the gov, and they don't have the characteristic polish (war finish? Likely economic) of the pro line, and do not carry the same warranty.

Well, yes, I do have a single square-drive handle that fits a single socket, and it
measures 0.281" across the flats, ergo 9/32". The only hints I have as to origin of
these items, is a legend on the socket, "Snap-On Made in USA M-8"
and lettering on the handle "DEco 44B8809".

I take it that there are at least three (possibly defunct) parent companies
whose offspring could fill out a set. Some day. Maybe.

This site http://www.collectingsnapon.com/index.php?page=socket_sets/C9-32inch/9-32 part number guide suggests that 1942 is the last year of Snap-On production.

I have several 9/32" drive sockets, ratchets, and extensions. Many are from WW II such as that M-8. My oldest is a No. 55 Snap On 1936 "Midget" set as seen on page 4 of the 1936 catalog. http://www.collectingsnapon.com/catalogs/catalogs.php?loggedin=0&catalogPage=413

Attachments

• 20200627_201645_resized.jpg
    20200627_201645_resized.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 10
  • 20200627_201711_resized.jpg
    20200627_201711_resized.jpg
    784 KB · Views: 10
I have 3 ratchets, a few extensions and a handful of sockets( in SAE, Metric and Whitworth)

I mentioned earlier in this thread about my 1936 Snap On Midget No. 55 set. Here it is. The previous owner lined the inside of the metal box with what appears to me to be a heavy upholstery fabric. Think of your old Aunt's parlor sofa.Snap On 1936 Midget 55.jpgSnap On 1936 Midget 55.jpg

Back