9" 4 Jaw Chuck - Dented in the back - scrap, or worth keeping?

jung4g

Registered
Registered
So this was in the lot of accessories I inherited (a different thread on that) and as I was sorting through things today I notice that the larger of the two 4-jaw chucks I got didn't have a backing plate on it and that it was dented/cracked in the back. Looks like it was dropped....

It's a 9" Diameter Chuck

Is this worth keeping? Or is it dangerous and worthy of scrapping out?

IMG_2067.jpg IMG_2068.jpg IMG_2069.jpg

It should be fine. It doesn't look like it's damaged too bad. I would use it. Keep the speeds in a reasonable range < 700 RPM or so and you should be fine.

Fill the cracks with a good epoxy clamp it so the cracks close as tight as possible. Let it dry a few days then file the repair till smooth and nothing to catch on your hands when using it. It should be good to go. But if your afraid of it use it for building a welding positioner , or use on a mill to hold odd shapes. If you don't want it send it to me ill use it.

Remove the pieces completely and throw them away, then get an round file and round off any sharp corners and put it to use if the hole is bothering you put some tape over it, under 1000 Rpm should still be in balance, first couple of uses stay away, like you would when mounting an fresh stone on a bench grinder just in case.

Good ideas. I appreciate them all.

I'll see how loose they seem when I try to move them with some clamps. If I can, I'd prefer the epoxy route of filling cracks and keeping the mass there.

As I have another slightly smaller 4 jaw chuck for my lathe, the idea of a welding positioner is something I like. I'll maybe build something that could work for that and mounted to the mill, that'd be handy.

Back