9-48B Gear Repair for Atlas 10F

oldscouser

Registered
Registered
Hello all. This gear repair might be of help to some folk.

The Mazak bevel gear, part 9-48B, in the forward-reverse gearbox on my clone Atlas 10F was missing a tooth. Yes, the big expensive gear!
P1030907 (Medium).jpeg

The difficulty of mending Mazak is well documented. Fortunately I had a spare bevel gear, part 9-49A, so after some thought I decided to cannibalise this gear and replace the input to the F-R gearbox. The attached photos show how I repaired the input gear.

I dismantled the existing input shaft and carefully measured the dimensions of part 9-48B.
P1030911 (Medium).jpeg

I centred the steel input shaft (part 9-52A) in a 4 jaw chuck, checked for concentricity, found 4 thou TIR and so trued up the diameter that mates with part 9-48B. I also put centres in each end of the shaft and drilled and tapped one end to assist with assembly.

From 1 inch stock brass bar I machined a bush with 2 internal diameters to suit the steel input shaft 9-52A and the modified bevel Mazak gear 9-49A. I mounted part 9-49A on an expanding mandrel and modified it to suit the brass bush.
P1030916 (Medium).jpeg

P1030917 (Medium).jpeg

The Mazak gear head was a hand press fit in the brass bush and steel shaft had about one and a half thou interference in the bush bore. The steel shaft was pressed in and the Mazak gear head was secured with Loctite.
P1030918 (Medium).jpeg

P1030919 (Medium).jpeg

P1030922 (Medium).jpeg

The F-R gearbox now has gears with a full complement of teeth! Where there is a will there is usually a way.
P1030921 (Medium).jpeg

Thanks for posting that old Scouser .
This evening I put my cross slide under power for a mind numbing job of winding off almost 1/4 of alu , it worked well till the slide was at it's max out travel , I started to pull the release when :cry: "crunch " :frown: .... things stopped moving on their own .. hit the kill switch PDQ found bits of the fwd/reverse box collet sleeve on the mounting bench / table.:eek 2:

I'll be be stripping it down tomorrow .. I may need your adaptation as well as a new collet ( 3D print collet in ABS as trial temporary solution ??? )

I'm not sure what Mazak is although I think that I have seen the word elsewhere. But the die-case parts on the various Atlas machines are made of Zamak V.

Back