9" steady rest

derf

Registered
Registered
I acquired this steady rest many moons a go, and was told by the guy I got it from it was for a 9" South Bend. I never had a use until now, so I sat it on my 9A, only to find that it doesn't fit. As you can see in the picture the foot print is not right.
DSC02526.JPG

I then set it on my heavy 10", and the foot print is correct, but you can tell it's for a 9" swing.
DSC02528.JPG

Is it possible that this is for a heavy 9"? Or maybe an older 9" made before the 9A's?

I have a heavy 9 bed..if you give me the measurement from middle of v to middle of flat area on rest can let you know if it fits

From the middle of the V to the middle of the flat is 3-1/2". The bed of my 9" is 3'' from the flat to the V.

I'll check tomorrow and let you know

Middle of v to middle of flat is 3 5/8"..so should fit heavy 9..

The bed of my heavy 10" measures the same. Evidently the heavy 9's and 10's used the same bed.

I have read that I can use heavy 10 parts to build this one. With some mods..hope its true cause heavy 9 parts are hard to find

I have read that I can use heavy 10 parts to build this one. With some mods..hope its true cause heavy 9 parts are hard to find

Anything bed-related. I don't know about gears. Heavy 9's had both 16DP and 18DP gear sets. Heavy 9's had different spindles, too, than a heavy 10. But, the bed dimensions, carriage, cross slides, etc, should all fit. Probably the lead screws and QCGB's, but I haven't ventured out that far with my "heavy 9" / Junior (model 22-Yb). That steady should fetch a decent price if you don't have a heavy 9 sitting around. Took me a while to find one, actually.

All I have is a 48" bed in good shape and a lead screw..would cost a fortune to build..was a good idea at the time..maybe..

Back