90 degree V Twin build

Yesterday because of the oil deluge I had I replaced all the gaskets and this time I used some silicone sealant on them as well.
No oil leaks found so far and I will keep my fingers crossed that none will show up later.
First I checked the valves for sealing and was happy to find them in great shape so I installed the cylinder heads on the engine. The lifters fit without any modifications but the push rods all needed to be shortened. I set the valve timing as close as possible for now and tightened the cams in place.
I also mounted a flywheel so I could turn the engine over by hand but this is not the one I will be using for this engine. I do have a larger one in mind.
GEDC5411.JPG
GEDC5414.JPG

Today I made up and installed the intake manifold and carburetor. I used copper pipe fittings with o-rings on two of the joints so I could remove the manifold later if need be.
GEDC5417.JPG

GEDC5418.JPG

I am trying to decide if I like the copper color or should I paint the manifold maybe black?
Do you have an opinion?

Thanks for looking

Ray

Polished copper and brass fittings make it look more vintage like in my opinion.
But then again I love the look of polished copper and brass. :laughing:

Polished copper and brass fittings make it look more vintage like in my opinion.
But then again I love the look of polished copper and brass. :laughing:
Yeah, what he said! Polished copper would look great.

savarin and 34_40 I bow to your request and will leave them polished.

I have been gone for a couple of days to south Florida but I was able to make some progress today.
I installed the hall sensors and made a magnet disk.
GEDC5422.JPG

GEDC5428.JPG

Installed
GEDC5429.JPG

I will be using two of these ignition modules one for each cylinder.
GEDC5432.JPG

The electrical system is all done and tested. The timing is just set close for now.

The cooling fans are next.
This shows milling one of the fan pedestals.
GEDC5441.JPG

Thanks for looking
Ray

Thanks Chris

Finished the cooling fan mounts and got them installed along with the driven pulleys, fan blades and drive pulley. I had originally mounted the blades the other way around with the pulleys on the outside and the blades flipped. Mounting them in that way made everything line up better and the blades would be more out of the way but as I found out they don't move much air that way. I didn't have to make any new parts to mount them correctly but it was a close fit and lesson learned.

GEDC5454.JPG

Close up fans
GEDC5461.JPG

Keeping in line with the polished copper fittings I made two exhaust stacks.
GEDC5459.JPG

GEDC5458.JPG

The gas tank is next

Thanks for looking

Ray

I am constantly impressed with your workmanship.

You are an artist sir.
Well done.
That is so ahead of my abilities, it inspires as to what we can achieve with our machines.

Back