90 degree V Twin build

What if you bored holes behind the current sealing rings to give the oil a path back to the crankcase?
just thinking...

I drilled two holes in the ring slot as can just be seen in a previous picture. I also cut the slots 0.010 deeper than the ring thickness as is recommended by the information I could find.
Thanks for the comment
Ray

What about a double ring setup? That might not be too hard to retrofit?
Robert

If the one added ring would have made some improvement then I was going to add another ring in the second slot I already had machined.
Thanks for the comment

Ray

I am using a 10% mix of WD40 and gasoline the same I run in my hit miss engines.
I have found that many of the 4 cycle model RC engines do not have oil in the crank case. They rely on the higher mix of oil in the fuel to lubricate the lower end and the crank cases must be vented to remove the excess oil that accumulates.

Ray

Sorry I missed that. I did not realize you had 2 rings. I am surprised you still have an issue.
Robert

I’ve seen on a lot of old air cooled engine they put a oil slinger on one of the connecting rods. Which would be aliitle piece of metal that would dip into the oil and splash it around. Also all bearing journals would have a drip hole on top of journals to help oil get into deep bores. Fantastic job by the way!

I am using a 10% mix of WD40 and gasoline the same I run in my hit miss engines.
I have found that many of the 4 cycle model RC engines do not have oil in the crank case. They rely on the higher mix of oil in the fuel to lubricate the lower end and the crank cases must be vented to remove the excess oil that accumulates.

Ray
I hadn't considered 2 cycle oil or any "blend" of oil/gas. I learned something today! Thanks.

Cadillac you are correct and I have worked on that type many times but one thing they have all had in common that I have seen is they have a set of proper oil rings.

34_40 I learn something new every day because of my wife's diligence. .
Her job is to make sure I understand that she is never wrong and I am rarely right.

Ray

Back