'93 Sporty 1200

randyc

Active User
Registered
Nothing special about this one except that it starts every time, doesn't leak oil and always gets me from "A" to "B".

P1040146_zpsec78e564.jpg

I'm sort of embarrassed to say that I've made nothing for this motorcycle except the mounting hardware for a small windshield. (On the other hand, I don't have any desire for the thing to look other than what it is.)

P1050074.JPG

P.S. Not straight pipes but it has a very cool sound without being obnoxiously loud :)

Last edited:
Nice clean stock XL you got there.Keep those pipes. That cross over pipe helps scavenge exhaust . A lot of people that don't know any better calls them girls bikes. What they don't know is the XL is the race platform for Harley's.With 4 cams and straight cam to value geometry they pick up RPM's in a hurry. One of the reasons the new bikes have gone to "Twin Cam".
Keep your knees in the breeze and ride safe.
********************Just Saying************************Gator********************* :bash computer:****

Nothing wrong with Sportsters, those 1200's run very well. I've got a 69 project I need to get to one of these years. Be careful out there, and have fun. Mike

...A lot of people that don't know any better calls them girls bikes...

Thanks for the comments, I was a big fan of Harley flat trackers and road racers and as you pointed out, the Sportster engine has a fine racing heritage.

I would have to respond to any BT owner that thinks this is a girl's bike the same thing thousands of other Sporty owners have said: "stay with me in a straight line, hang with me in the twisty's and then tell me I own a girl's bike". Of course, I'd have to qualify the "straight line" part by limiting it to about 1/4 mile, LOL, and it doesn't hurt that I only weigh 128 pounds :)

You can really make them mad if you "Button Shift"
When I had my bike shop we had a XL drag bike that would eat up every thing it came across.
*********Just Saying**********G**********************************************

You can really make them mad if you "Button Shift"
When I had my bike shop we had a XL drag bike that would eat up every thing it came across.
*********Just Saying**********G**********************************************

Across the bay from my house is an old World War 2 air strip on a spit of land that divides the bay from the Pacific Ocean. It's now used only as a drag strip (Samoa Drag Strip) and I see some impressive Harleys from all over northern California there ! Any motorcycle that can burn the rear wheel in fifth gear nearing 100 mph deserves a LOT of respect :) Those guys all use power-assisted shift mechanisms and they seem to work pretty slick !

I've owned about ten different types of rice burners - they were all great for their purpose. But I was young then and had different riding preferences. I don't know anyone over about 55 years old that rides a Japanese bike these days, except for an occasional Gold Wing.

I make a complete circuit of the U.S. every Summer and I note that 90% of road bikes are now Harleys. They are just more comfortable for most of us older riders in several different ways. (And the price difference between Harley and import is nowhere near as great as it used to be !)

What I mean by button shift is to get your foot on the shifter like your going to change gears but instead of using the clutch hit the kill button and change gears then let go of the kill button. Don't change the throttle. You keep the rpm's in the power band range and go like hell .Won a lot of money from the boys that thought they had a hot ride.
*G*

Back