9A project completed

Very nice work! I'd love the opportunity to learn from someone who now about threading and such also! Beautiful machine. -John

Great descriptions of the challenge, I especially liked the section of pouring the hinge bracket. I was wondering if one could get metal to bond to cast be melting it like what you did. Or if tig welding would fix cast breaks or wear. Your good work with brass tag, was amazing I never noticed that tag before, haha

I have the exact problem with my 9's gear cover door. I assumed the pin was cast in babbit, probably type 2. I need to get a small piece, folks only sell by the pound.. I think I'll try your method of melting the old one and supplementing with a bit of lead.

I have the exact problem with my 9's gear cover door. I assumed the pin was cast in babbit, probably type 2. I need to get a small piece, folks only sell by the pound.. I think I'll try your method of melting the old one and supplementing with a bit of lead.
A wheel weight or some solder would be a better choice,

I just acquired a 9A and my first order of business is to add a VF Drive to drive my 3 Phase motor. I decided to get a inexpensive VFD from AliExpress. The Instruction Manual was in Chinese so I looked and looked on the web for an English set of instructions with out any luck. So I downloaded the (free) google language translator app. And used my phone camera thru the app to translate the Chinese instructions to program my VFD. Now I am off to give it a go.

I got a lot of good ideas from this project of Derf's lathe restoration.

Looks great.

Here is a photo of a 9A turning a square shaft. If you need a steady rest just PM

Dave

_Square.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I think my dad has this same lathe! The story I got about it was he acquired it from my grandpa who bought it from a farmer many years ago. At some point the gearbox door cracked and was brazed. Also the belt was replaced, but since it was an old school flat belt and hard to find, my dad used an old leather belt and stitched it together. Been in his garage for decades now, with all the attachments.

Back