9x20 jet lathe chuck

When I got my used 10-22 I just knew that that must be big enough for the size of what I planned to do, (telescope parts). As soon as I started
to learn just how to use a lathe I discovered that some of my parts while being under 10" in diameter, wouldn't fit in a chuck and turn a 10" dia.
part, duh. Neither my 3 or 4 jaw chucks would hold an item that was that large. My 4 jaw when fully opened (too far for safety) would seriously
run into the ways and still wouldn't hold a 10 dia. part. Oh well, just chalk it up to a learning experience. Then it dawned on me to remove the
jaws completely and mount the plate directly to the face of the chuck body. I could bolt it or.....tape it with double sided 3M tape. Hold the part
against the chuck with a live center and there you go. The biggest problem is removing the part from the chuck tape, but a little heat seemed to
do it. Who needs a stinkin' big lathe? (well maybe I do, but...) I've used this method forever 40 similar parts with nary a hitch. I only use my 4 jaw
chuck, independent jaw not scroll, for holding other than round or square, like rectangular parts that are too big for my 3 jaw but not large enough
to use the tape method.

CHuck the grumpy (but still learning) old guy,
IMG_3521.jpg IMG_3475.jpg

IMG_7440.jpg

IMG_7450.jpg

IMG_7456.jpg

IMG_7472.jpg

IMG_4097.jpg

picked up the 6 inch 4 jaw self centering - under my budget New from discount machine . Have not opened the box yet
more will follow.

6 inch chuck mounted ok, had to whittle down the face plate a tad. wished I would have looked a little closer at it. needs to be opened up a whisker to get more threads on and set screw better located. Jaws will open as far as 3.15 inches from jaw to jaw cross ways. Any further it will be smackin the rails other wise it was worth the expense to have it on hand.
thanx to all for your input.

Back