9x20 Lathe CNC conversion

Steve, what QCTP do you have and how is it mounted? It looks like you removed the compound slide.

My AXA QCTP is about 3 or 4 mm to high when mounted on the compound slide. I was thinking of disassembling the slide and mill down the boss. The tool post bolt is pined and I'm not sure how to remove it. I'm also worried that I may need to take down more than the boss on the slide to drop whole QCTP down low enough. I may have to remove material from the whole slide itself when I remove the boss to get it low enough. Have you run into any of these problems with your 9x20?

I have to look at my compound i believe it had a different bolt than yours. and the "axa" kit from little machine shop had an adapter bolt that screwed over the original. the original bolt was smaller on mine i'm sure.
the largest tool i could use was a 3/8" with the compound.
when i went cnc the compound was not needed and i now have the post lowered and use 1/2" tooling.
steve

So much leaning my head is exploding. My little logan does not have that much toolling. I just might be able to justify the conversion in my budget. Thanks for the knowlage and the money saved!

Today I started converting my 9x20 cnc lathe to ballscrews, I originally used the acme lead screws and they worked well but there was room for improvement.
I needed to regrind the v grove in the saddle and lap it back in, the wear was bad and the saddle would rock when changing directions. that all came out very well and I made new brass gibbs so I decided to put the ball screws in now that the machine is tight.
I probably will try hand scaping the saddle to reduce wear and hold lube better. ( I know nothing about how to do it but anything is better than it was new, just flat on flat.
I didn't take a lot of pics but if you go back to the start of this thread you can see how I did it the first time.
here is where I'm at now on the x axis, relocating the screw , motor and thrust bearing.
thanks for looking
steve

DSCF1100.JPG DSCF1101.JPG DSCF1102.JPG DSCF1103.JPG

I installed a 1204 ( 12 mm 4 pitch ) on the X axis and today I made the mounts and installed a 1605 ( 16mm 5 pitch ) on the Z axis.
I still have some shields to make but I filmed it, doing a warm up cycle at 75ipm.
after regrinding the saddle and the new brass gibbs I now have zero backlash.
tomorrow after I make the covers I'll cut something besides air.
thanks for viewing
steve

[video=youtube;qRszeLacAmY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRszeLacAmY&feature=youtu.be[/video]

DSCF1104.JPG DSCF1105.JPG DSCF1106.JPG DSCF1107.JPG

That's awesome Steve! Now, I want one.:thinking: I'm envisioning making fancy knobs and such with ease. That's where CNC really shines- making parts that have non linear shapes.
:))

Marcel

today I got to run my first test on the new setup and it was something I had never done before even on a manual lathe. cut an inside thread.
he had a barrel from a gun and wanted to cut a tread on the inside of a tube to fit the end of the barrel to deflect the muzzle flash. I'm not a gun guy so I don't know the terminology. we measured the thread inside and outside diameter and pitch it was 1.125 od and 24tpi. I had to make a tool holder for an inside thread to hold a carbide insert then I ground the insert to a full 60 degree point to remove the radius. the thread length was .5 so I entered in all the information and did an air pass to make sure everything seemed to be moving in the right direction and it was fine. I inked up the inside of the bore and came in to touch off and set the diameter in the dro. I hit cycle start and let it complete 1 pass at 200 rpm to check the thread pitch with a gauge and it was correct. at this point I'm backed away from the part about 3" to get my hands in there. I hit rewind to start the program and with out repositioning the axis I hit cycle start. the tool moved into the correct position and cut the entire thread in the previous track I backed out to test the barrel and it screwed in about half way and was getting snug , at this time the tool is a foot away from the end of the tube to test the barrel. I just hit cycle start again and it picked the thread up again perfectly then without changing the setting I just let it chase the thread. the barrel screwed on perfectly smooth and snug. we just stared at each other in amazement I could not have been happier.
he videoed it and was going to send it to me because he used his phone. yahoo mail would not let him send it because it is too big so I'll make a video a second time to show it working.
what a great first test this was
steve

I finished installing the covers over the ballscrews today
this is also a pic of the first inside thread I have ever cut on any lathe, the cnc did it perfect.
steve

DSCF1124.JPG DSCF1117.JPG DSCF1116.JPG

Back