9x20 Lathe CNC conversion

just an update
I installed home switches under the x axis ballscrew cover and a movable z axis stop so I can start building my tool table in mach3. with the switches installed now the machine is zeroed when I turn it on and each tool is zeroed to it's own offsets by selecting the tool number.
I wrote a g-code to make jt33 to 5/8 adapters for my tail stock turret and made 4, they came out really well.
steve

DSCF1167.JPG DSCF1168.JPG DSCF1169.JPG DSCF1170.JPG DSCF1175.JPG DSCF1176.JPG DSCF1178.JPG

There isn't much to tell,
I machined a couple backing plates and have added a 5c collet chuck and a 5" 4-jaw scroll chuck for working with square stock.
I purchased new headstock bearing but I haven't installed them yet. maybe I can do a how-to on the bearing replacement in the near future.
steve

I purchased new headstock bearing but I haven't installed them yet. maybe I can do a how-to on the bearing replacement in the near future.
steve

I would find that very helpful! Glad to hear the lathe is running well. Thanks for the update.

Beautiful Job on the conversion Steve.

I have two Taig micro lathes that I converted myself also and they are indispensable when making repetitive parts
. I just joined to get some insite
on a larger machine lathe and mill as we have the Craftex line available at busybee here in Canada but I am now leaning heavily on a tripe across the border to buy a Grizzly instead .

Sorry not hijacking Steve's thread just showing the versatility of a CNC lathe and adding to Steve's excellent conversion

My smallfry CNC lathe in action. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTaiG_cs178&list=UU4TXqxzgEPUt-SoF9ztUXfw

Last edited:
Thank you for the compliment punisher
I can't get your link to work in Youtube?
what cad/cam software are you using and if you are using mach3 what version are you using?
mach3turn is so buggy, I get it to do what I need to do but it's no where as easy as mill. mach4 was written because mach3 turn cannot be fixed according to Art Fenerty the original author.
I am so far not convinced mach4 is working any better yet. I read their site daily on yahoo and very little is said about turn.
steve

Thank you for the compliment punisher
mach3turn is so buggy, I get it to do what I need to do but it's no where as easy as mill. mach4 was written because mach3 turn cannot be fixed according to Art Fenerty the original author.
I am so far not convinced mach4 is working any better yet. I read their site daily on yahoo and very little is said about turn.
steve

Have you thought or investigated using LinuxCNC (formerly EMC2) for a turning software?

Hello Steve

I write my G-code the old fashion way out of my head with manual measurements and
use the wizards in Mach3 for more complex arcs and circles . As far as the Mach3 version it
is the most latest one , I do not use machturn i just use mach3 the version for milling on my lathe .
I am also waiting for Mach4 to be completed .

The link works at this end but try this one instead

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...LPsas8bAnxTPXYDZMkBeK-A&bvm=bv.75775273,d.cGU

punisher
the little Taig lathe runs nice, I have a sherline I converted from Denford to Mach3 I haven't turned on in years. nice video

dirty engineer
years ago I did look into EMC2 and I still have umbutu installed on one of my pc's. at that time I was just starting out with machining let alone mach3 and cnc so adding another learning curve with a different operating system and software would have just added to the massive pile of mistakes
I was already making....:nuts:
If I really needed my cnc lathe I'd probably find other options, but I got far more enjoyment out of converting my lathe than I have using it. I'm lucky if my 9x20 cnc gets used once a month because I only do my own hobby work.
Our conversation did get me interested in improving it's performance again and yesterday I was on the internet all day looking at options. At this time I cant see converting from parallel to usb because there is really no controller in a hobby price range that does closed loop threading and a $500 smooth stepper for a machine I use once a month is money well spent else were .
My lathe works really well and is reliable and accurate so I guess if I'd quit trying to compare it's use to the ease of use I find in my zx45 mill and mach3 mill I'd really be quite satisfied. I use my zx45 cnc almost daily and haven't even turned on my manual mill in years where as my manual lathe is used more and the cnc lathe only comes on for special needs or multiple parts.
At this point in time the lathe is perfect for my needs I just need more practice to improve my knowledge and skills using it.
Steve

Hi Steve ,
Mark from youtube.
I knew Ive seen this thread before. I was following while you were building it in twenty twelve. When ever you get a free second can you take some close up pictures of the mill with the ball screws.
I have the Z axis figures out im unsure what I would like to do with the X . You did a great job manipulating allot more travel out of the X axis.
Im in the process of taking everything from my G0704 (that I will be selling with mounts and ballscrews) and putting half of it on my 6x26 and the other half on my 9x20 plus new goodies for both. Maybe Ill do a build thread . Never have before.

Back