9x20 Lathe CNC conversion

the zero backlash coupling came today and i installed it the rythem on the finish problem is gone. i will video it when the speed sensor gets here and installed. i havent done much i have had company for a while.
steve

today the first threading on the lathe and it came out pretty well. the lathe is fine but i have to learn the software and i could have picked a tip with no radius, but all in all i'm very pleased. now i just need to learn how to do it right. the lathe tracked and stayed in seguence perfect.
next i'll build the enclosure and flood cooling.
steve

[video=youtube;kvkhyj-efKM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvkhyj-efKM&feature=youtu.be[/video]

you can see the radius of the cutter is too much but the die went on fine to check it.

DSCF0439.JPG

today the first threading on the lathe and it came out pretty well. the lathe is fine but i have to learn the software and i could have picked a tip with no radius, but all in all i'm very pleased. now i just need to learn how to do it right. the lathe tracked and stayed in seguence perfect.
next i'll build the enclosure and flood cooling.
steve

That was cool, and it shows how much manual cranking and time was saved compared to the regular process.

Does Mach3 calculate the depth of thread, or do you stop it to check for fit when it looks as though it's about there?

M

everything can be programed in all i have to do is learn how. on my sherline, it would not thread, it didnt have enough power so i never took the time to learn. now that i have a lathe with enough power i'll practice more. ( with something besides brass ) i know very little about operating the cnc lathe software and cad drawing yet but now i have a reason to learn more.
steve

everything can be programed in all i have to do is learn how. on my sherline, it would not thread, it didnt have enough power so i never took the time to learn. now that i have a lathe with enough power i'll practice more. ( with something besides brass ) i know very little about operating the cnc lathe software and cad drawing yet but now i have a reason to learn more.
steve

Ok, so would it be correct to say that in theory, assuming that the lathe has enough power and the correct size chuck and tooling, that any thread of any size could be cut using a CNC'd lathe with the software controlling the lead screw and cross-slide?

If so that would mean no changing of gears and calculating of ratios, which would be a good excuse to CNC a lathe just for threading! ;)

M

thats correct you could even make your own thread not just standard threads, any pitch you put in will be cut. if the spindle was slow and the z axis feed fast it would cut a spiral if thats what you wanted.

steve

my main reason for conversion is for balls, curves, concaves, fillets, and tapers these all require special tooling for a manual lathe and in some cases form cutters. once the lathe is trammed correctly any shape is possible requiring only tool changes for direction of path and shape clearance. tapers are easy with only requiring the correct angle be entered. my sherline made perfect mt2 and mt1 tapers
steve

Wow, talk about timing. This last weekend my wife and I drove out to S. Cal. to pick up a converted CNC mini mill (Sieg X3) that I bought off of Ebay. While there the seller pointed me to a striped down HF 9"x20" lathe that he had stopped work on after buying a full CNC lathe. I bought it from him real cheap, including the CNC conversion parts. I figured it would be a great first project for the X3. The parts include the steppers, motor mounts, bearings, and ball screws.

I will be watching your conversion with great interest. Hopefully learning and applying what you do.

my conversion is working now, i just have to finish the splash enclosure and install a cooling pump.
i'm making qctp holders in another thread for it and i am planning a rear tool post.
if i can help you just ask
steve

Back