9x20 lathe feed gear

Looks like the carriage has to come off so you can do a proper diagnosis. I'm sure you can find a suitable part. The gear that the worm turns seems like it gets alot of use you may be able to see it with a flashlight right behind the apron.

On my CM 9x20 I use both size belts. One is too tight on some speeds and the other is too loose on other speeds. I think I paid less than ten dollars each for the belts at my local NAPA parts store.

I ended up using the 710mm belt. So far so good. As far as the feed gear, I ordered the grizzly replacement for the G4000. I have yet to receive it but when I do I will post the results. Has anyone considered a 3d printed feed gear? I mean, if your carriage is maintained well and adjusted to work smoothly, why wouldn’t it work? I can’t find anything on the web related to the CM 9x20 feed gear, so maybe I’ll model the new gear when I get it. Obviously I can’t really model the old gear as it’s probably more than a millimeter out on the radius....

I think that a plastic gear would be fine. I have an 80 tooth gear on one of my back gears. I tried to get one and never succeeded. There are online retailers that sell gears but they didn't have what i needed. A 3d printer would solve alot of those kinds of problems.

Looks like the carriage has to come off so you can do a proper diagnosis. I'm sure you can find a suitable part. The gear that the worm turns seems like it gets alot of use you may be able to see it with a flashlight right behind the apron.

It looks like you are 100% correct. That gear is worn out. Now to try and find a replacement. It's a 20tooth. Its damn near impossible to find info on my specific machine which is why I jumped on this thread, it seems to be the same machine as mine.

Attachments

• 20200205_155408.jpg
    20200205_155408.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 139
Go grizzly.com and look up the 14x40 lathe and check out the parts illustrations. And see if that looks similar. It's real close might have to call them and see what the tooth count is.

Back