9X20 Lathe, replacing the plastic 80T gear with a Grizzly metal one (p4000119A).

New member, old topic. First post.
I just ran into this dilemma yesterday, the plastic gear snapped after years of use on my new to me lathe.
I popped in the metal one that came with mine. Apparently poor die casting, the centre crumbled out of it. Partially my fault, I tight fit on the shaft, I should have filed it rather than tap.
Apparently no one has stock, except Jet, at their gouging price, but I found this on my search. The plans for 3D printing the replacement gear. I will be back in business when my Son in Law, with a printer visits. I hope this helps someone else.

Hi there I printed and designed my own gear has been running for a while. If you get one printed it needs to be printed in nylon at about 260deg C using an enclosure to reduce shrinkage, warpage and get better layer strength.

Keep in mind that if "the center crumbles", you may have the option of chucking it up and cutting a fresh I.D. and then brass sleeving it.

If the center falls out the whole gear would follow soon enough- impurities in the alloy
-M

I don’t have the skill set to do that sort of business yet. It’s actually a cast iron gear, and the centre broke out in an ugly manner. Son in law has one gear printed, is printing a few more and be up on the weekend

Back