9x20 Power Cross-feed Started Anew. Lol

B

Bill Gruby

Forum Guest
Register Today
Two of the basic parts are here. The power supply and the variable speed unit. It's off to Radio Shack tomorrow for more parts. The motor is on its way.

"Billy G"

102_0015 (700 x 525).jpg

If your local Radio Shack actually has electronic components I'm shocked and envious. I have to go to Mouser or Digi-Key.

The thread title caught me, I'm looking forward to seeing more of your project.

-Freeman

Had everything I needed. All I need do is assemble what I have and wait on the motor.

"Billy G"

102_0016 (700 x 525).jpg

What boards are you using for your drivers? Looks like it is going to work just fine.

Bob

Needed 4 standoffs for the speed control board. 3/16 hex brass. 6-32 male and female thread. They are 1/2 inch long total.

"Billy G"

102_0017 (650 x 488).jpg

Not much done today, was distracted. The speed control and switches are mounted. The two loose leads to the left go to the motor the two to the right are to the power supply.

"Billy G"

102_0018 (650 x 488).jpg 102_0019 (650 x 488).jpg

Electrical components are in. Left switch for crossfeed direction. Center switch for speed control. Right switch power on/off. All that is left for this is a power cord and the motor. Next up is the Dog Clutch unit. It is a simple push pull configuration.

"Billy G"

102_0020 (650 x 488).jpg

Bill,
Have you already done the slipper clutch mod? I read that the depressions for the balls in the clutch are not drilled deep enough and that it results in slippage at very low torque settings. The fix is apparently to drill the indentations a tad deeper, but I didn't get a spec on exactly how much deeper to go. If I drilled it too deep it would be the same as no clutch and not deep enough means it still will slip at low load. If you have done this mod could you share your thought and any measurements or specs that you used? Also what other mods would you recoment before I start putting it to more continuous use. The fellow I got it from has already changed it over to a 4 bolt style cross slide tool mount and put a Phase II QCTP on in place of the 4 position block style tool holder. I am thinking I want to build the back gear mod to reverse the threading capability, but since I do so little threading now I really don't see the advantage of adding left hand thread capability immediately either. So your thought and list of mods would be much appreciated when you get time.

Bob

Back