9x20 stuffup

Not your fault. The factory did not do their homework building these machines. I rebuilt the apron on mine twice before I redesigned it.

"Billy G"

So how did you improve the apron Bill? pics please.
I really dont want to have to dismantle every 6 weeks to prevent this from happening again.

The part is available from Hare and Forbes in Sidney for $36 plus postage.
Ordering it now.

I have a Sheldon now and when it is restored the Jet will become a back up lathe.

"Billy G"

Bill, do you have a thread regarding the Sheldon? I own a very worn out 11 Sheldon that's in need of a rebuild so any info you can pass along would be great.

Sorry for the very short thread jack.

BTW that is one nasty looking apron.

can anyone see a reason not to use locktight to hold the key in the worm as long as it slides free in the leadscrew keyway?
Also the bracket that holds the worm has a hole larger than the dia of the leadscrew, This allows the key to escape if there is a bit of canting which I am assuming what happened to me. The swarf buildup forced the key out the end of the bracket.
There is sufficient play to fit a washer between the inside of the bracket and the worm. If this is a better/tighter fit to the leadscrew then the key couldnt go anywhere.
But, the end of the key could rub on it maybe, epoxy or pin the spacer/washer to the worm?

Been there done that. LOL. Go ahead, it will help the problem. I will take some pix of my apron today for you. I had to drill and bush the hole for that worm gear. It was .006 off location. It would bind on occasion. When I did that, other things showed up. LOL

"Billy G"

Thanks Bill, I can see a heap of :banghead: in the close future:roflmao:
Still, what else would I be doing? Sitting on the stoop watching the world go by?

Charles, is it the shaft these gears are on that is bent?
Is it soft enough to bore out the centre and make a new shaft to fit in? Let me know if I can help with anything

Cheers Phil

Thanks Phil, I've got the new shaft on the way from hare & forbes.
The small gear is an integal part of the shaft, the large one that mates with the worm is ok though.
It really looks as if the worm holder needs re boring and sleeving back to size as Bill stated. There is an enormous amount of play there and it does let the key slide completely out of the worm.

Last edited:
I decided to sleeve the worm bracket so had to find some brass.
Found these old tap internals in my "waiting to be cast" bucket that had just enough meat to enable me to turn and bore them to fit.

brass.jpg

The bit on the left is what was left after turning and parting the two sleeves,
I set up the bracket on 2 centres in the four jaw chuck gently tightening the jaws on to each side in the hope I could keep the holes in alignment as I bored them. It appeared to work.
I pressed in the bushes in the vice after packing out the gap so as not to flex the sides and used locktight in the hope they wont fall out.
I allowed the bush to be slightly longer on the inside to cut down the end float to a reasonable amount instead of the 1/16" it was.

worm inserts.jpg

Now its a much better fit on the leadscrew and slides very smoothly with no binding.

worm leadscrew.jpg

Lets hope it will work when the new part arrives and I can re-assemble it back together.
Or maybe the leadscrew will tear the brass apart and I will have to do it all again.

brass.jpg worm inserts.jpg worm leadscrew.jpg

Did that also Bro. I had to shim the bracket out .006 also. You are finding out just what Quality Control isn't.

"Billy G"

Back