A 1/2 size salesman's sample plane I reproduced

george wilson

Global Moderator
H-M Supporter Gold Member
The original plane was in the collection of a wealthy collector I visited. It was the only such salesman's sample I have seen,and was quite rare and valuable. Therefore,I decided to make one for myself.

It is all dovetailed together,even up the front. These dovetails are angled in both directions. They are peened out to fill both angles,and filed flush. They cannot come apart in 1 direction like wooden dovetails can.

The "curly steel"look was done by wrapping 600 wet or dry around a file,and using just the corner across the already polished steel surfaces to produce the curly look.

This plane is stuffed with rosewood. The cap iron has an old fashioned "microscope" style knurl which is convex. I made these knurls by running knurl blanks horizontally against a regular thread cutting tap.

The little plane is about 4" long,and is actually functional.[attachimg=1]

It is seen with the other 2 planes I posted for scale.

_DSC0772.jpg _DSC0771.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
George, you sure do some nice work. It's nice to be able to combine two loves. One for metal, one for wood. Or maybe three....including toolmaking.

Thanks,guys. That will be the last plane I'll be posting for some time. Viewers might be getting tired of looking at planes,and the others I still have that I've made are all wood,though many of them were made using a Bridgeport slotting head on the vertical mill to cut their throats.

Plenty of other things to show for some variety !

Back